Feel Giving Up My Phd

A

Hi all,
I am new here. Please be nice to me.
I am currently doing a Phd in Bioscience. I've been a student for almost 8 months. Now I am still in the phase of sample collection. The sample I'm collecting are clinical samples obtained from surgeon. Things were great at first. My supervisor is very helpful and nice person and I like my research so much.

However, the surgeon I am currently working is a big-headed person and he can't tolerate any excuses from me. I always had verbal harassment from him. Not I'm saying all surgeons behave like the surgeon I described previously, but he's really not someone who can work well with others. He always thinks he's better than everyone else and always belittling and yelling at me if I were 1 or 2 minutes late to retrieve the samples. To make things worse, the laboratory manager in my department hates on me. He always thinks I was the one who made the laboratory unorganized. Once he accused me of stealing the equipment and reagents in the lab even though I didn't do it.

I haven't told my supervisor about this. Right now I am thinking that I love the research works but I chose the wrong place to further my PhD. Plus I am still young and easy to get bullied. Help me. What should I do?

T

Hello,

Welcome to the forum. I know it's difficult but you will often encounter these type of people, who pick on those that they deem to be weaker than themselves. This is not your fault.

Why haven't you told your supervisor about it? Maybe they can offer you some advice?

The advice I would give you is firstly to tell your supervisor, and then to stand up for yourself in a nice way. If it wasn't you that made the mess, say so. If you don't like being spoken to it a certain way, tell the person you don't like it. I bet they won't be so quick to do it again.