Feel like i'm getting nowhere

R

I started a PhD in organic chemistry late last october, and feel like i've literally nothing to show for it. I'm basically trying to make a new ligand for catalysis, its new but not groundbreaking stuff, but pretty interesting. The synthetic route i was going down has been done for similar compounds, but i've hit a brick wall at each stage, problems with protecting groups, very poor yields, so much so that i've had to scrap the synthesis and design a new one. I've literally just started it this week, and while i'm optimistic that it'll work, i'm 4 months in with nothing to show except "I tried to make this compound, and failed pretty badly." I'm feeling a lot of pressure as I think i'm a pretty diligent worker and want nothing more than to make some darn progress!

My supervisor has gotten me to sign up for a 4 month industrial placement over the summer in a process dev lab, which should be really helpful in regards to practical skills, but with only 3 months to go until that starts, and with the progression board meeting meant to be 12-15 months after starting, I'm terrified that i'm going to fail it horribly because i've made no progress! Has anyone been in a similar situation? :-(

A

Hi Raidan,
Welcome to the forum!
I'm afraid this is pretty normal for the PhD process, do not worry, you do have plenty of time really! It will be fantastic experience to go to an industrial lab and learn processes and techniques, and also give you experience of the industry vs. academic way of life!
It is accepted that your first year is really a training year, results are just a bonus, therefore when you go for your monitoring committee/board meeting, they will not be expecting you to show lots and lots of results, just show them what you have been doing. The PhD is really a training course, where you learn so many skills, It sounds like you have been working really hard and have done alot over the last 4 months, therefore do not stress - just explain what you have been doing and be proud of it! Discuss your work and the pitfalls, remember things that don't work in the long run probably teach you more than those that work nicely first time - even if they don't put the same spring in your step!
In the second year you will get alot more stuck into your work and see things coming together, and with many research projects the results you will put into your thesis will predominantly come from your final year.
I hope this helps to remove some of the anxiety you are feeling! Just relax and enjoy the process - believe me it gets all too serious and time consuming far too quickly, so enjoy this first year of learning techniques and just remember to write it all down, even if its not working, as this is just as important, (more so), when it comes to the write up!

Best of luck and keep smiling 8-)