Feel like quitting

J

I just feel like quitting my PhD - it takes so much energy from me and very little output. How valuable will a PhD be if I dont want to be a researcher or lecturer?

T

How far are you into your PHD? Could you explain to future employers why you quit it.

Doing a PhD will give you a lot of transferable skills, it all depends on how you market it!! Now is not a good time to be job hunting!! Trust me. You need to decide what you want. Finishing your PhD could ride out the recession!

C

Hello,

Unfortunately I am in the same situation. I have great friends who keep telling my to hang in there, but it is hard!

C

You should give the forum your reasons for feeling so, or at least what you honestly think is the main problem. If not it will be very difficult for people to help you in anyway. Rest assure, nevertheless, that the majority of PhD students think about quitting at some time or another during their programs. The reasons are plenty - lack of proper personal support, guidance in writing, lit. review, research methods, time,... The real benefit of a forum like this one is that if your post gives enough information about your situation you are likely to get a reply from someone who had a similar experience or has something relevant to tell you. Please go ahead a tell us your problem :-)

Regarding the value of a PhD, you should not underestimate it. Not only will it increase your skills like Treefrog mentions, it will definitively open-up opportunities that would otherwise be completely out of your reach. That said, this is a peoples world, not a game of solitaire, so you are not exempted from networking and the responsibility of carrying your own weight.

HTH - Hope This Helps

D

Yes, I feel like you too at times. I don't want to work as a researcher or a lecturer either. I just want to get through this as I'm not a giver-upper and I do feel morally obliged to my research participants for their input. Yes it is draining.