Feeling like you 'don't know enough about topic'/ can't keep on top of the literature?

A

Does anyone else sometimes feel like they don't know enough about their PhD topic? I mean, considering I'm meant to be an expert on it sometimes I feel like I just don't have enough knowledge! Also, I find that keeping on top of all the literature is difficult - I hate to admit this and maybe this is really bad but, although I usually enjo reading relevant journal papers sometimes I secretly groan when I have to read relevant literature as there are bits of it I find boring! Does that sound reall bad? It seems to take me a long time to thoroughly read the relevant work and actually understand it and I often forget/mix up important points from journal articles. Does anyone else do this, or is it just me? I'm starting to worry a little bit...

D

Quote From anon:

...sometimes I secretly groan when I have to read relevant literature as there are bits of it I find boring! ...It seems to take me a long time to thoroughly read the relevant work and actually understand it and I often forget/mix up important points from journal articles. ...

Are you sure it's you? Not all journal articles are well-written, or clear. Perhaps it's just a matter of getting accustomed to different writing styles?

S

I think at you learn more about the topic over time, things become a little easier as you can piece things together more easily I found, but remember that you're not supposed to have read everything there's to read on that topic. That would take years alone! You just need to know a lot about it ;-)