Feeling unable to teach

R

Corinne, I think there are some little 'rays of sunshine' on here (that's sarcasm by the way ) who just take pleasure in criticising other people's posts, their usernames and being negative about everything in general.

What I wonder about these people (who don't need to be named) is don't they have work to do???

R

You're just pissed cos your name is actually 'Rosy'.

And no, if you actually read my posts you'd realise that they're far from 'negative about everything in general'.

R

Lol... you do make me laugh I'll say that for you!!! I happen to like my real name just fine thanks very much

R

Great that you're actually enjoying this, you won't mind future posts about your name and your cheap advice about 'love' then.

M

In my opinion, you have done a positive thing by agreeing to do more teaching. I am incredibly shy and used to feel extreme discomfort talking in front of more than one person. However, I too started teaching this year and can honestly say my confident grows weekly. I felt physically sick when I initially agreed to it, frequently thought of cancelling. Now, I know it was one of the best things I did. Yes, I have had slip-ups and embaressments in front of students but - so what, they leave that room and probably never think of it again (the embaressment that is!). They probably don't even notice half of it.
On another note, I have had most students say they enjoy the seminars and others who look as if can't be bothered- you really can't please everyone.

M

I mostly teach first years - and I agree that in the first year it is mostly about teaching them how uni works and how it differs from school, it's a big change. Would be interested to know how others go about communicating this to their new students...
They seem uncomfortable with the way that seminars work, they tend to sit and wait for you to feed the work to them. Sometimes they can't see the point of group work, after all, what's better than sitting listening to teacher and taking notes?! This is what I am currently struggling with getting across, so would appreciate anyones advice or experiences.

J

hi hope. i always dread preparing for teaching. it's always an uphill struggle for me - the preparation. plus i panic before classes. think about it. how much do you remember of what your seminar taker said during your undergrad? pretty much nothing. so, if you make a mistake - accept it, if necessary acknowledge it and move on. if you're not sure about your stuff, try to make the students talk as much as possible. and comment on what they say. don't teach. check what they know. correct major errors in what they say. and that's it. all the best. am in the den tomorrow. keep your fingers crossed. i've only started prepping.

S

do what you like ,nobody can force you ,even yourself