Final Year Funding

D

In 2011 I was awarded a full studentship by my University for 3 years, however after completing the second year I am now transferring with my supervisor to another University (and therefore leaving my funding behind).

The new University have offered me a place but with no funding (they say they only provide funding for people beginning the PhD).

I am planning to accept and can scrape by for the final year with last year's TA earnings, but does anyone know of any ways to secure extra funding in the final year from outside the University? This would make my life a lot easier and allow me to move to be near the University rather than complete from my hometown.

Field is Management (Marketing) at a UK University.

H

This guide might point you in the direction of some organisations/charities that could help:

You might not get much from each, but perhaps a few together would help you get by.

Seems pretty harsh that choosing to follow your departing supervisor cuts you off from your funding. Are there any grounds for appeal?

T

I agree - surely if the reason you are leaving is because your supervisor is moving the new university/your supervisor should be obligated to fund you?

D

My funding is provided by my current Uni, which means I can't take it with me.

I've done a bit of research and I believe he should have negotiated funding for me when he was first offerered the job but he didnt do this.

I believe when it came up the Uní suggested I was too far along for it to be worthwhile me transferring, but I don't believe adequate arrangements will be made at my current Uni after his departure (pack of suitable replacement supervisor). Its important to me to have consistency in supervisión, but I'm keen to reduce the financial strain.