Final Year Funding

D

Does anyone know where to apply for funding to cover the final year of my PhD? I am an American Student studying at Cambridge University.

A

Do you mean a 4th 'writing-up' year? In which case, getting funding (other than maybe from a sympathetic supervisor) will be extremely difficult. Most people will work part-time to support themselves when writing-up and/or finishing off the last few bits of work for their thesis.

D

Thanks, but I'm looking for funding to support the 3rd year of my PhD which includes testing and writing up. Still going to be difficult I imagine...

T

* For living expenses you could try College hardship funds (depends on your College and how rich it is though).

* For project-related expenses (equipment, travel/mileage, reagents etc) try for department funds, grants and prizes. Again, depends on your department.

* For course fees I don't know where you could try. I doubt there's anywhere, unless you start sending letters to companies in your field (bit late for that though). Though if you couldn't prove you had adequate course fees to cover the whole PhD when you applied, then they wouldn't have let you in. They seem to be quite strict on that.

You could try the Gates scholarship, though I don't know if they accept applications for just one year of a PhD.

Good luck.

D

I'll look into hardship funds. I haven't gone that route yet. Thanks

A

Are you female? I'm looking into applying to the British Association of Women Graduates for final year funding. If you've done your ug here you might be eligible?

S

Hey, if that's your real name, I have seen you in a conference winning the PhD student award?

S

I bet its you! You are doing cognition stuff, arent you? Are you joining the "society" in July in Maine?

D

Are you talking about ICOM-4 in Australia? If so, yes it's me. What are you doing? Where?

S

Yes, in Australia. What a coincidence! I am doing memory and cognition stuff. Will you join SARMAC this summer?

D

Unfortunately, I won't be going to Maine this summer. I'm going to another conference in Nova Scotia in August.

S

Are you originally from the US?

A

Look this link up - there is a section on funding for final year/writing up PhD students:
http://www.gjss.org/documents/Sources%20of%20Funding%20for%20Doctoral%20Students.doc

D

Thanks for that! I'll have a read through this ASAP.

-Yes, I'm originally from Pittsburgh. Why?