Final year support thread

C

Quote From Hugh:

I wish I could write concisely! :)

All my chapters are written up as first drafts, but half of them haven't been checked by my supervisor yet, so there's still plenty of changes to make, and loads to do. I also have 3 other chapters that need editing. So its no where near a first full draft quite yet. My supervisor is also away for most of Aug/Sep, and I wasn't expecting that, so things are sadly going to move much slower than I anticipated! But I am still pushing for a 2016 submission.

How about you? When do you plan to submit?

Sorry your supervisor's going to be away so much - another of these uncontrollable things that makes the whole process so difficult to plan for.

I'm planning to submit by the end of the year. My funding runs out at the end of September, so I'm hoping to have a full draft by then, and (fingers crossed) pick up some work while continuing to edit and tidy up all the other bits and bobs (appendices, refs....the list goes on!).

H

Quote From chickpea:
[quote]

I'm planning to submit by the end of the year. My funding runs out at the end of September, so I'm hoping to have a full draft by then, and (fingers crossed) pick up some work while continuing to edit and tidy up all the other bits and bobs (appendices, refs....the list goes on!).

I've got a very similar plan too! Hoping to submit first full draft before the end of Sep, Make changes and proofread in Nov, & submit in Dec. We will make it :)

C

Quote From Hugh:
Quote From chickpea:
[quote]

I've got a very similar plan too! Hoping to submit first full draft before the end of Sep, Make changes and proofread in Nov, & submit in Dec. We will make it :)

Yeah, let's not have it hanging over us at Christmas/New Year :-)

Z

Hi Hugh, thanks for the sympathies haha I got it submitted and aiming to do another this week- initially I had 3 to do this week but I am so strapped for time I am having to be selective over the ones I am applying for while still writing the PhD.

Word counts, argghh- I am also 20k over, but I am editing from the start of the thesis chronologically and plan to cut stuff as I edit (hopefully!)

Submission- aiming for the draft to be submitted October at the very latest. Actual submission may be December as my sup has to read it all and they are always super busy, so that part is out of my hands really (frustrating!)

H

Looks like we are all on plan and aim to submit in Dec! We can do this, yes we can!

Yes that part (waiting for supervisors) is very very frustrating! Although I anticipate they'll take 1 month, they may take longer. I truly hope not!

I wasn't planning to take time off in Aug but I think I will because I'll be waiting for my supervisor to get back anyways. I'm also unsure about the job front, and need to get my old CV updated!

Z

I am taking ten days off in August but its because I am having minor surgery (for breathing issues) and I cannot leave the house for a good week. I will be a bit bruised and swollen. I will still be working from home when I feel up to it, but I am officially on annual leave so I can avoid meetings etc. I am not too worried about taking time off at this stage and I think if you feel you would benefit from a rest then do it :) even if it is just a long weekend.

I am honestly hoping that my sup will be a bit faster as I am coming to the end and I hope that is the case with you too Hugh!

What is everyone up to this week?

C

Hope your surgery goes well, Zutterfly, and definitely a good idea to plan some time off around it.

I thought I would have a very productive week as my partner is away on a trip and I had visions of extending my working hours etc. However it is turning out to be one of those horrible weeks when everything goes wrong and needs sorted at home! What about you?

H

Zutterfly, good luck with your surgery! Definitely take time off, you will need it.

Chickpea, sorry to hear your week hasn't been as productive. Mine hasn't either. I don't know if its the heat, or the fact that I've had household stuff to sort out. I'm hoping tomorrow will be much more productive for you and me, and we can get down to work!

C

Quote From Hugh:
Zutterfly, good luck with your surgery! Definitely take time off, you will need it.

Chickpea, sorry to hear your week hasn't been as productive. Mine hasn't either. I don't know if its the heat, or the fact that I've had household stuff to sort out. I'm hoping tomorrow will be much more productive for you and me, and we can get down to work!

Thanks, Hugh - hope tomorrow is a better one!

Z

Quote From Hugh:

I am right there with you guys- I worked for a couple of hours yesterday then went to visit a friend (they are due to have a baby soon!)

Today I have barely done anything, but I am determined to finish this dreaded policy section in my introduction chapter! I will feel better when it is done :)

Chickpea- snap, my partner is away this week on holiday so I have an empty flat. I keep getting distracted with household stuff. Laundry becomes so fascinating when you are facing a bit of writing that you are dreading completing!

H

Zutterfly you have inspired me to fill my 1st job application form! I don't expect to get it tbh, but if I don't apply I won't know!

Z

Quote From Hugh:
Zutterfly you have inspired me to fill my 1st job application form! I don't expect to get it tbh, but if I don't apply I won't know!

Woohoo, I am inspirational! haha

Yes I think there is no harm in starting the applications now, even if nothing comes of it, it is good practice :) After my first few applications I am getting faster as I am able to reuse bits of cover letters and tweak them. I am currently on with my 5th- I wasn't shortlisted for two and the other two I am still awaiting the outcome. I was a bit disheartened in the early stages but a good thing to remember is it takes lots of applications to get a role. I was recently at a conference and people were telling me it took between 100-120 applications to get their current jobs :o

H

Quote From Zutterfly:
I was recently at a conference and people were telling me it took between 100-120 applications to get their current jobs :o

*shock horror* I don't know what to say. I'm torn between academia and non-academia. My heart wants me to stay in academia (I like the mix of research and a bit of teaching/supervision) and my brain tells me to flee from academia ...

C

That's a horrific number of applications!

I'm still looking at both academic and non-academic posts. There is absolutely no way I want to go down the road of competing for one six month academic contract after another, all in different places, so I am really just keeping an eye on anything interesting that's within reach of where I live, and looking at other jobs too.

Z

I am the same- I don't want to relocate as my partner has a good job here and i have moved a crazy amount of times in the past.

I am applying for a mix of academic e.g. research/teaching and non-academic jobs that are within universities e.g. those in professional services. I am really not fussy on that front, I just want some money coming in so I can keep a roof over my head. Also, if you take a job and dislike it, you are not bound to that role forever and can move on. So this has informed my approach of applying for absolutely anything within universities!