Final year support thread

C

I'd heard that the key findings/contribution to knowledge should be up front and central at the start of the thesis - has anyone else been told that? I'm wondering about putting it in the introduction, as cringeworthy as it seems to do that! I guess it will be in the abstract in summary form too!

It might be worth checking with your supervisor re. bullet pointed lists - I'd been told to avoid them and forgot that and included some in a chapter, so have predictably been told to take them out!

H

Quote From chickpea:
I'd heard that the key findings/contribution to knowledge should be up front and central at the start of the thesis - has anyone else been told that? I'm wondering about putting it in the introduction, as cringeworthy as it seems to do that! I guess it will be in the abstract in summary form too!

It might be worth checking with your supervisor re. bullet pointed lists - I'd been told to avoid them and forgot that and included some in a chapter, so have predictably been told to take them out!

I think I have seen some thesis that do that - I need to ask my supervisor, that's a good point. Have any of you used a thesis writing guide book? I've heard people recommend Patrick Dunleavy, ‘Authoring a PhD’, but I'm not convinced yet I should buy it.

Re bullet points, my supervisor loves them, he's always encouraging me to use them. I don't like them too much, but I think it makes it easier for the examiner to read.

In other news, I've just sat and worked out what percentage of my final thesis I have written. I'm feeling a bit inspired because I am 73% there, but I know there is quite a bit of editing the 73% requires, but still, its nice to put a number to the progress I am making .... although no idea if its an accurate reflection ;-D

How far are you all?

C

Wow, 73% is great! I've only got about 40% of mine down so far, but there are reasons for that (on-going data collection holding up the findings chapters, grrrr). Like you say though, it is good to see how much of the whole you've done - one thing I like to do is divide the words to write by the rough number of working days I have left - it makes it all look so much more manageable!

Z

I think it is a good idea to broadly state key findings in the introduction as they are normally part of the abstract, yet I would write them in a broad overarching way rather than a list of very particular findings in the introduction. But that is just my opinion!

Oh my goodness, 73% is awesome. I am not sure how to calculate this, I would say I am 80% there. I have 1/4 of my final findings chapter to go, then a conclusion. BUT I have to do some major editing on my introduction and literature review. I have also kept discovering things that are relevant to a findings chapter I submitted to my sup one month ago that I would like to weave into it when editing the final draft.

Where did the PhD go guys? I remember my induction day like it was yesterday!

C

I know - one minute you have three years to immerse yourself in a topic, the next it's the end and you're scrabbling around trying to get it finished!

H

It has gone fast, though I still am not entirely convinced I'll make it to the end line. I know it sounds ridiculous considering how far I've got, but I still think anything could become a hurdle.
I've also reached the frustrating stage of 'I can't wait to finish, really just can't wait!!'

C

Writing the methods section drags so much.

Writes out protocol >> can't remember where he bought a particular reagent or enzyme >> hasn't written that info in his lab book >> has to log in to stores ordering section of the intranet to check.

Remember kids, write everything down. I mean EVERYTHING!

C

Quote From Hugh:
It has gone fast, though I still am not entirely convinced I'll make it to the end line. I know it sounds ridiculous considering how far I've got, but I still think anything could become a hurdle.
I've also reached the frustrating stage of 'I can't wait to finish, really just can't wait!!'

I find myself thinking, 'I don't have to do this! I can look for a job and just not do it!'. But I will, and I'm sure we all will :-)

Z

Quote From chickpea:
Quote From Hugh:

I find myself thinking, 'I don't have to do this! I can look for a job and just not do it!'. But I will, and I'm sure we all will :-)

I had one of those days today Chickpea haha I spent all day reading articles that will probably inform a total of one short paragraph of my discussion chapter.

Z

How is everyone doing today at the end of the week?

Hope it has been a good week for you guys. Mine has not been productive as I had hoped but been poorly with a sickness bug :/ so I will let myself off ;)

H

Quote From Zutterfly:
How is everyone doing today at the end of the week?

Hope it has been a good week for you guys. Mine has not been productive as I had hoped but been poorly with a sickness bug :/ so I will let myself off ;)

Hi! Sorry to hear that, I hope you feel much better soon. Don't beat yourself up, you are not meant to be working when ill.

I had a very unproductive day too. I'm hoping next week will be better. I'm struggling a bit and feeling tired.

C

Hope you feel better soon, Zutterfly!

I've been a bit unproductive too. I'm definitely doing work avoidance with 'monster chapter'. I have advanced my notes for it a bit and got some analysis done towards it though, so every little helps, I suppose!

Z

I think the key is remembering that every little task you do means you are getting closer to the end :)

I'm just doing lots of reading this week to help me with writing a chapter, but it makes me feel so sleepy!

S

Would like to join this thread..... since I'm in my last year too. I have not started writing my thesis yet. PhD requirements in my country are 4 articles published in international journals (1 or 2 are allowed to be only submitted or in press). Each article will be one chapter in the thesis, so I haven't started writing, but those chapters will be finished once my articles are out.

I have submitted two now and the third is in preparation for submission, so I guess I am on track, but it is a tough time to get it all done in time.

And this week I am also suffering from procrastination

H

Quote From Zutterfly:

I'm just doing lots of reading this week to help me with writing a chapter, but it makes me feel so sleepy!

I find reading really tiresome too, I actually prefer writing (I can't believe I am saying this!) ;)