Finally almost really done - post viva land

D

Congratulations Doctor!

:-)

The relief must be enormous. Just a question: What are the minor corrections (did they tell you or indicate)? Grammar, and stuff or rewriting paragraphs etc? I think everyone sees minor corrections differently.

S

I don't have the complete list yet but I have one of the overall reports which talks about typos and additional references. I strongly suspect though, that when I get the final list there will be some additional requests to do with clarifying and annotating various tables and figures.

C

Congratulations!!!! :-)(up)

B

Congratulations!!!!!!!!

D

Quote From Smilodon:

I don't have the complete list yet but I have one of the overall reports which talks about typos and additional references. I strongly suspect though, that when I get the final list there will be some additional requests to do with clarifying and annotating various tables and figures.

Thanks. That's what I would think of as "minor". I hope I can get through with corrections like this. How's the first morning after the celebrations? Hope your head doesn't suffer. ;-)

S

Sad to say I still don't feel fully recovered! Must be my age....:$ or maybe just the shere quantity of Rose wine I managed to drink. Probably both.....

R

I got my list of minor corrections yesterday, and it includes the things that you've both mentioned - a page of typos like 'delete extra full stop', 'put footnote 7 after fullstop, not before it', or 'reference on p 123 missing from bibliography'. It's also got requests to clarify odd sentences or paragraphs, and rewrite the conclusion to 'create more of a fanfare' (!!!).

What fills me with mild horror, apart from having to engage with the whole thesis again in that detail after ignoring it as much as possible for the past month, is seeing that all three examiners apparently want to check my corrections. So that's 3 more thesis copies to send out, with the possibility of any of them sending back more corrections if I don't do what they wanted, which may be likely given the vagueness of their report and the fact that they're from different disciplines. Then back to the committee that sits a few times a term for final approval.... I'm really hoping that all 3 examiners wanting to check the corrections will be a mistake, just to speed things up. It would be good to get it wrapped up before Christmas.

wehhayyyyyy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! CONGRATULATIONS Smilodon. Well done... multiplied by a million. Brilliant news.

S

Ugh Ruby what a pain! I think my internal will check all the corrections on an electronic copy - so no more soft bound copies. I do have the committee that seldom meets problem though. I was told the corrections should be done within 2 months - I hope that means 2 months from when I actually get the list!

R

Smilodon, that's a much better way of checking the corrections, I'll find out if that's possible for me, though my high image content might make it less viable. I'd have thought my externals would have better things to do than check a thesis for typos though. In fact, I'd have thought they'd be sick of it by now. I am.

They told me 2 months from receipt of the official list of corrections - so one last stint hopefully and then that should be it FOREVER!

A

Yes, e-thesis is the way we do everything now, even the final copy.

S

Brilliant news Smilodon, well done :-):-):-) You definitely deserve a break. Minor corrections are a pain but nothing like the pain of actually writing the damn thing.

I'm lucky because my examiners only needed an electronic copy for the minor corrections. The various copies of my thesis will have cost me about £400 by the time I'm done :p Serve me right for leaving everything to the last minute ;-)

R

A big congrats from a former Cantab PhDer!!! Well done doctor. Its always nice to hear of people being successful second time around. I may end up following suit some day ( hopefully in cambs) so its great to hear that there is light the end of the tunnel.

now enjoy your freedom :-)

S

Yes, it's not cheap, binding all these copies - especially the hardbound copy.

Not sure about the freedom. I've gone from never wanting to see or hear about his stuff again to obsessing about my draft paper etc, etc... it just never ends does it?

No word from my supervisor yet - he went off on fieldwork about a month ago........

B

rjb203's post reminded me that you did this as a second PhD, so are in a similar position to myself who started from scratch a second time (I was in a totally different discipline as well). It's incredibly encouraging to hear from someone getting through in those circumstances. It takes a lot of courage to try for a PhD a second time around, and having quit one once it could be all too easy to walk away again. But hearing success stories really helps. Thanks again.