Finally starting the application process and stressing out!

N

Hi, I've just started my MSc and have finally arranged to speak to my tutor about applying for a PhD, and now I'm so nervous! I've wanted to do a PhD since the beginning of my third year so I've had plenty of time to think about it, but I still don't have any firm ideas of what I want to research and the methods I want to use. I basically know the area of my discipline that I want to focus on and I'm thinking about methods but I seem to be changing my mind a lot based on things I read and find interesting....at this stage how focused would my tutor expect my ideas to be? I'm concerned because I need to start writing proposals soon and I really don't feel ready to do that.

I have looked into where I might want to go and potential supervisors, but will not contact them until I have spoken to my tutor. I am also considering staying at the same university as where I am doing my MSc, and did my BA as it does appear to offer good opportunities for Phd students, as well as funding. I could potentially have the same supervisor for my MSc dissertation and PhD as well...I know this is generally a good idea but the problem is he also supervised my UG dissertation, is having the same supervisor all the way through a big no no? At PhD level I would have 3 supervisors as they arrange supervision in teams, so I would be getting advice from other academics as well. I had a seminar with him today and he told us to email him if we wanted to base our dissertations on the approach that he was teaching us...would that be a good idea?

I just don't want to appear like I'm making decisions based on what would be most straightforward for me, ie. applying to stay with the same supervisor. My interests do seem to be quite consistent with his, but the input from other supervisors would be really useful as well. I seemed to get on well with him at UG level and he appeared to show genuine interest in my work, which makes me think he'd be a good MSc supervisor.

I'm sorry for rambling on, but I'm getting quite stressed out about this and I just want to do everything the right way. I have read books on the PhD process and done other research but I feel so in the dark at the moment. I have a first class BA so although it will be much harder than my UG degree (finding that with my MSc at the moment) I hopefully have the ability and the motivation. If anyone can give any advice on PhD applications I'd really appreciate it, particularly about what I should avoid doing!

Thanks in advance, Natassia x

B

Hi Natassia,

I applied for an ESRC 1 + 3, and to get that I had to do a proposal for the PhD stage during the 3rd year of my BA. The area I proposed was far from specific, and I only had chance to do limited research around the area, so it was very general. However, I was specific about the methods that I wanted to use (basically because there was only one method that made sense to use to get the data I wanted to get).

And about where you want to do your Phd, definitely consider other universities than your own. I was incredibly attached to the uni where I did my BA, and the support I got from lecturers, in particular from my supervisor, was brilliant, and I seriously didn't want to do my Masters or PhD anywhere else. But my lecturers encouraged me to apply to another university (where I could get ESRC funding and which was overall better than what my first uni could offer), which I did. Now, I'm at the new uni which is absolutely fantastic, and I'm so glad I did it. It's very easy to get too comfortable, and although it sounds brilliant that you'd have a group of supervisors, definitely consider other uni's so you can make a well-informed decision!

Try not to stress and keep reading those PhD books, they helped me when I was trying to understand that strange new world!

N

Thanks for the reply. I have had a look at other universities and identified some other people who I would like to contact about supervision, I think I'll mention them to my tutor to see what he thinks. Its difficult because on one hand I want to be independant about this and I don't want him to think I can't make any decisions by myself, but on the other hand I need some guidance, its a difficult process and as none of my friends are in the same position I have limited people to talk to, therefore I'm not as confident as I should be.

Thats exactly what I meant, about not getting too comfortable, but at the same time if staying would be the best option for me then I might be better off doing that. Like you said I need to make an informed decision; hopefully after this meeting I would have a clearer picture of the whole process, the books are wonderful but a conversation would be better!

Natassia x