Finding it hard to keep going :(

P

I'm really struggling to keep going! My supervisors who are very critical, seem to have lost complete faith in me now(due to failing my upgrade) and I'm now starting to seriously question whether I can do this!I've got reasons for hope, ie really useful data from focus groups and my questionnaires and observational tools are working well with fieldworkers we've recruited.

Im currently developing my own theoretical model after several revisions from my sups, and although they liked components of it, it's so soul destroying to have it all changed and re-edited when I've spent ages on it!! I've just created my new model, and I'm hoping that it's not a waste of time! I've returned home for a week or so to get away from the office to fully focus on my project without office distractions; although this has helped with my concentration, I feel so depressed, tired and drained :( Taking a holiday sounds like an option, but I won't be able to until I've resubmitted my report and when I do, I'll be catching up on months and months of fieldwork (probably up until October/November).

I want to cry! :(

S

I've always felt that THE most difficult skill to learn throughout the PhD process is how to handle criticism. I for one can't handle it at all. It always feels like a personal attack on me. it is, as you say, soul destroying. This means that i'm probably not the best person to give advice on this matter (sorry!) but i do know this: it takes a lot of bravery to face up to your fears, doubts and insecurities. By the sound of it, you do have a strategy for getting yourself back on track, even though it's not ideal. So for what it's worth, i think you're doing incredibly well. Chin-up hope you feel better.