Finding out about external

K

Hello again all, nerves have got the better of me again. I just wondered if you could advise me if you thnk this is the "done thing" at all? A couple of my friends are having viva's soon with people they have met befeore and know in some vague capacity, but at least they've met them. I and my supervisors have not met my external, and don't know him. Apart from familiarising myself with his work, I just want to know a little bit more about him - what he's like as a person, if he has a reputation for being tough in viva's etc. I have met some of the academic staff from the university where he is, and was considering ringing them up to find out a little bit more. Or coudl I email him directly, by way of introduction? I's unlikely he will have read my thesis yet so it's not as if I'm hoping to sway anything!

Sorry about this - I'm just not coping with this period between handing in and viva very well at all, feeling tearful and fearful all the time.

A

I definitely wouldn't contact him directly. I would advise that you turn your energies to positive viva preparations i.e. make sure you know your work inside out and know the the examiners' work well too and most important (IMHO), get your supervisors to give you a mock viva. Pre-viva is an agonising time and I hope I don't sound unsympathetic, it's very natural (and wise) to want to 'know your enemy'! However, I think you can do this by learning as much as you can about the examiner in their professional capacity, and worrying less about other people's opinions of them (esp. if they are not positive!). Read the examiners' papers, even if not directly relevant, as this gives you an impression of their approach to research. Best of luck.

S

Bibi is right - your external is supposed to be someone largely independent of your and your project so contacting them could jeopardise your viva

K

Thanks everyone. Sorry to be so anxious, but I'm consumed with worry. I won't contact the external - I think I knew deep down that it was not a possibility anyway. I feel disadvantaged, as I have not had any contact with him at all. My friends who have forthcoming vivas all know their externals. I have a mock viva arranged. I guess I am scared if the examiner is the type of person who isn't open to other ways of working except his. This happened to a friend, her examiner was very nasty and the university are considering sending the thesis to another examiner. Another friend got major rewrites which also terrifies me - people seem to think I am in control of my work and say I present it well, but I am so frightened of being struck down and letting people down. I'm starting a new job soon, but can't focus at all. You must think I'm stupid, I know I'm not the only person ever to have a viva, but right now I'm so upset I'm seriously wondering if I can go through with it.

A

I had 3 examiners and had never met any of them, not even the internal (who worked at a different site). I do understand your nerves, anyone who has been in your position knows what you are going through. I honestly don't think it would be helpful to you to know about their viva style. All vivas are different.

Before my viva, I forced myself to get forget the 'scared student meets expert panel for intense grilling' mind set and made myself view the viva as a meeting of like-minded peers. You are 'one of them' now, you have completed your PhD and it's true that no one will know your work better than you. Be aware of the flaws in your thesis (every thesis has some flaws), and be prepared to talk about these (in particular why they were unavoidable, what else you could have done had you been able, what you would do in the future). Believe or not, you may actually enjoy your viva once it starts, I did!