finish in 3 years?

Hmm verucasalt - can't you clone someone to do the lab work while you do the writing?

Keenbean - I'm a lady *points frantically at the obvious boobs (not moobs) on her avatar*

Feeling a little better now. I barely have any writing, well, I have a lot of writing but none of it could be submitted, none is in a flowing, good argument form anyway. My problem is participants too, I am still trying to get my 3rd study off the ground, my participants are a select group, that just don't want to do research - I now realise thats why no one else has done research in my area. D'oh!
But I'm concentrating on writing for publication - so I still won't have anything for my thesis until next year :-(

A

ahhh but sneaks, if u have a published paper then it's so much easier for viva, cos ur work is obviously of a novel, publishable standard! see!! and lots of chuff writing is better than none! However veruccasalt, I do know of plenty of science people who have finished in 3 years, both in my department and related departments. although it helps ALOT when what ur working on works from the start and u dont have to spend months improving and refining experimetns so they work...booo! (turkey)

P

I waited to respond, for I wasnt too sure what to write.

I think I am enormously stressed with the 3 jobs, plus tons of presentations, plus 1 paper accepted, 1 submitted, 1 being written with sup (all for good journals), by the first term of the second year.

Hence, my sup seems v keen that I go on to take 4 yrs, for I am obviously stressed with these self set (And doubtless enjoyable) goals and it shows.

Now, reality status: my fieldwork is done. The transcripts are done. I am in my 14th month of the PhD. What does that leave me if I am to do this in 3 yrs? 22 months.

I begin analysis from Jan 2010. Aim is for a first draft by this time in 2010. And then 8 months and submission in August 2011 or so.

People keep saying - oh wow fieldwork done? well, yes, I recruited (in hell) from 7 schools across Greater London, 60 kids, whole process took around 3 months and went hitchless.

I think that's a huge good point. There is another aspect of my empirical work - to be done at my desk (analysing websites) which also needs doing (I think July 2010 to Sept 2010)

I have *no* idea if I look set for 3 yrs, for mind you, I will have these 3 jobs (3 days a week) all along till the day I defend my thesis. Nothing will cease in the 3rd yr, and I have no mind to stop presenting or writing to publish. And 3rd yr am also doing the PG cert.

the only bonus is I write very fast. I just dont know what my answer is to you Sneaks, but its for others to decide if this looks doable in 3 yrs. am in month 14 now, fieldwork over.

It seems like different subjects have different requirements as to what makes a complete PhD. Also different countries. I am currently working with someone who completed his PhD in two years, whilst working full time - and it turns out that his 'PhD' is just one small project like a lengthy MSc dissertation. My PhD so far has meant 40 x 1 hour interviews, another 20x 1 hour interviews, a questionnaire where I had to recruit 400 participants and now I'm going in to my last study where I need to analyse 100 peoples reports they have been given. Whereas I know some people where the original 40 interviews would have sufficed.

======= Date Modified 15 Dec 2009 10:08:49 =======
ooh crazy double posting today (gift)(gift)

P

No doubt, Sneaks, it can be variable as to what is required for a PhD. And I think that there is a fair amount of luck involved, not just with the project itself, but also the support of the sup(s) etc.

My two cents on your post: I have already gone past the 3 year mark and I am focussing on making it for the 3 1/2 year one. In my field, most people finish between 3-4 years, but some manage to do it in 3. Those who do, fair to say, have worked their a** off to do it - no holidays, long, long hours, limited social life. I suppose all us PhDers go through that at some stage, but there are certainly degrees of sacrifice, and I think that if you are willing to sacrifice probably about everything in your life to get the PhD done in three years, you will get it done in three years. Question is - do you want to do that?

That's how I see it, and because I want to stay sane and remain a functional person, I am taking longer than 3 years, that's my excuse anyway. (and to be fair, I still have some grant money to get me by, otherwise it might be another story..)(sprout)

K

Haha, sorry Sneaks, I always thought you were a lady but then I couldn't remember where I'd got that from so thought I had better remain diplomatic in case I had it wrong!! KB

M

At the end of my first year (well, academic year) I duly said in my end of year report that I would be on track for 3 years although I actually had no idea and still don't. However, the reaction from the director of grad studies was utter bafflement, as though no one had ever suggested such a thing before, and several people have talked about what I'll do in the department to fund my fourth year. So I guess it's not looking hopeful! I'd like to prove them wrong though, but not to the extent of selling my soul!