finishing thesis and jobs

C

I've written my thesis and my supervisor has NOT yet read the abstract/1 results chapter/most of lit review/conclusion. He has read 2 results chapters and I've made corrections.
My supervisor has been away (grrr) and is still not back. I thought half-term was over :-?

Is is reasonable to get a full time job at this stage? He is not known for fast thesis reading (of the 1 month plus timescale usually for 1 chapter, and it's a low priority).
I'm living mainly off my partner and a pitiful amount of overdraft :-(

I stopped getting funding last Sept, and got some ££ until Xmas from my supervisor. Is it reasonable for me to just inform him I'm getting a job, or do I ask?

U

i would get a job, as long as you're not expecting major re-writes after your sup reviews what you've done.

R

PhD students quite often get good jobs on condition that their PhD is awarded, even while they are still doing the write-up.

C

I'm definately looking for a temporary job then
I've started and hoped other people would agree.

Of course I've realised my supervisor has no reason to come in now he knows my thesis is waiting on his desk.
D'oh!

S

Hi cc, I'll be in a similar situation soon... I also have been on no funding since September (slave labour PhDs!)... borrowed lots of money and currently living off my partner. I'd definately go the job route! You've finished & need the money. Now me personally at the moment fancy the idea of working in a bar, or as a postwoman... but I have a few more months to go. So, enjoy earning some money

C

My supervisor is back!!!! (why no shock emoticon?)

He is phoning me back as of course busy and not had time to read my emails properly yet. Meanwhile I've found a permament job very locally I want to apply for

C

Double shock emoticon he is going to read some of my thesis when he is out of the office (no surprise lol) tomorrow for a meeting on Thursday. Triple shock emoticone he has agreed to my idea of arranging a schedule for him reading it!

S

Great news! I recently agreed with my supervisors for them to to whizz through reviewing my chapters with my tight submission schedule, despite the fact the first two chapters took 4 months each to look at! Let's hope our supervisors live up to their promises! 4 months to go... 4 chapters... ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha (hysterical laughter)... off topic ramblings... PhD mania... better log off quick before I start rambling even more incoherently...

C

I've applied for my first permament job
I can't believe after years feeling I'm rubbish at my PhD, that my CV actually sounds so good (much hard work and careers help)
My supervisor asked if I was applying to postdocs, the no was embarrassingly quick

C

I am quite worried. My tutor today asked me whether he/ they/ the department was 'training me out of a job' - apart from academia and academic posts, there isn't much of a place for my PhD (minus those 'transferable skills' in the job market. I had thought about this before, but now it has brought it home - I do want to make it in academia, but I know that it is a matter of there being the post available and my PhD being suitable for that post, not to mention the competition. I love my PhD and my discipline - but do worry about what I am going to do afterwards...

C

Taking into account waiting for my supervisor to read my thesis (lightly and looking at the bits I've highlighted) I can submit in July. Want to wait for the feedback.