First Conference

B

======= Date Modified 05 Sep 2011 11:33:42 =======
Hi all :)

I am attending my first conference related to my PhD area of study tomorrow at the Uni of Warwick.

I am not presenting anything, just over to absorb knowledge in my field of interest.

My supervisor has advised me to 'not be scared to talk to people' - but as I am going by myself I am a bit nervous :/

Anybody got any tips for a 1st conference trip?

My supervisor is expecting it to be very useful and wants me to gain knowledge that will help my own studies.

Should I be too concerned with 'talking to everybody' or just take it as it comes.....?

Thanks!
David

R

======= Date Modified 05 Sep 2011 12:48:29 =======
Hi Basictonal,

Tea breaks during the day and the drinks receptions in the evenings are a good chance to get to know people and have a chat. I turned up at the drinks reception on the first evening of a conference by myself last year and obviously looked a bit lost but another PhD student came over and introduced me to some other students and we had a good chat. My sup was also there as well last year but he'd got swept up talking to other people so I'm glad I found the students!

If there is a poster session this can also be a good time to chat to people simply by asking questions about their poster.

I wouldn't worry about trying to 'talk to everyone', I'm quite shy and find it difficult to go up to people. Even if you only get to chat to a couple of people at least you will have made some contacts.

Hope you have a good time :-)

B

yeh true, will just take any opportunities and if i talk to a few people then that will be enough.

there are lunches / coffee breaks during the day and one evening meal on the 1st day, so ill either just stare at my potatoes or have to talk to someone.

A

Look around...there will be other Phd students on their own, and have a chat (over coffee/tea is always useful). Or go to a poster session, look for people who are researching an area similar to yours (not necessarily directly similar but in the same area) and ask them about what they are doing. I find poster sessions and coffee breaks the easiest to get to know people :) Good luck it will be good!

M

Hi there,

I think you just need to have fun there and relax. Network with a lot of people . Make a list of sessions that you would definitely won't want to miss. And make a plan to attend them. Try to stay focused in the sessions and ask good questions/discuss with the presenters. Oh and please remember to print business cards before you go. I found that this was the best way to keep in touch. And also go out with lot of different groups for lunch/dinner. This way you get to know the researchers personally. You never know when you might need them (e.g. for some advice or as external examiners because it can get so hard to find/entice examiners at time as most famous people tend to be busy)

Cheers

C

Hi Basictonal, Good to hear that you are attending your first conference. I don't have much to add to what others have said here. Networking is very essential and even if you can't ask questions to the presenters publicly soon after their talk you can always chat with them later during coffee/lunch breaks. Have fun :-)