First Day Experiences

D

I am due to start my first ever day this Monday so just wondering what 1st day experiences people have had. P.S I've got a new coffee cup for the occasion!

J

Well, you've got the most important bit sorted out . May I sugggest a packet of chocolate Hob Nobs: I have yet to meet a supervisor who doesn't like these with his/her morning coffee.

S

my first day was so bad i nearly quit right then and there. i guess that was a bit of a special case though.

considering my experience the advice i'd give is simply: just in case things go wrong, have a phone number or an office number of someone with you so you can go talk to someone if you do suddenly find you need help (or someone you can cry on). in most cases this will not be necessary - it's just a safety net.
good luck! most probably it will be fun and exciting!

D

I've a feeling my first day could be a little strange. My supervisor is caught up in undergrad teaching so I'm just going to have to arrive and mill around for a day I think! I'll feel alot better when I see my work space, meet the other students etc. P.S I'm off to Asda for the Hob Nobs later!

J

Sometimes my supervisor is absent (teaching) when new guys arrive. We always look after the newbies till the supervisor is free: I'm sure your colleagues will be nice.

R

I agree, as long as you have some friendly faces in your group (which will be helped by taking hob nobs/cake!) you'll be fine!

H

i have no idea what my first day will be like. i enrolled on-line this week (as i'm transfering from MSc to PhD) but i've had no other instructions as to when i should attend. i popped into the department yesterday but the admin staff didn't really know that much. my supervisor is on maternity leave until january so i'll be going in on monday with no idea of where i'll be based, what i'll be doing and who'll be supervising me until christmas.

i can't wait :)

D

First Day Checklist;

- Coffee cup (standard)!
- Coffee cup (expresso)!
- Coffee!
- Chocolate Hob Nobs (thanks Juno)!
- Laptop
- Lab Book
- Glass Pen
- White coat
- Textbooks
- Research papers
- Apple (for supervisor)

Anything I missed?

O

Just a suggestion:

- sleeping bag (as nights in the lab can be long and cold ;))
- tooth brush
- tooth paste
- shaver (if you belong to the lucky gender)
- headache tablets

Good luck!