First publication - Happy!

R

Dear all,

I wanted to share that I have just managed to publish my first paper in a peer reviewed journal. Although the subject is only marginally related to my main subject area, it still feels great and I feel very happy. It also helps in getting to know how the application process / journal software work.

So if I can do it anyone can do it, seems mainly a matter of not giving up!

O

Congratulations, well done. You've only been started your PhD not long ago and already published - that's something I haven't achieved over the whole course of action.

R

Thank you O.stoll.

but you have got your PhD, haven't you?

O

PhD yes, publication no.

But what counts more in the academic world? Exactly, publications. Luckily I wasn't interested in an academic career, otherwise I would have been in troubly by now.

O

How many months did it take for them to confirm publication? Did you have to make any revisions?

R

The whole process, between first submission and publication, took about 5 months. Had to revise 3 times in that episode, once regarding the content, then that was accepted, then twice regarding issues like the presentation and format (e.g. tables etc.). Contacting the (assistant) of the editor was very helpful. Also to stay actively in contact with the journal and making sure you do exactly what the instructions are is important as the process is very prescriptive, a lot is done via the computer software and it just does not work if you do not fill it in properly.

D

well done!!! Glad you posted this as I am just revising for submission and sometimes feel like not bothering but now I may go for it!!