First Review Panel

P

I have my first review panel in two weeks but I am away on study visits until just before so I want to get everything ready now. How much detail do I need? I have to do a bibliography, chapter outline, training log, and my supervisor has asked for a brief piece of work showing some ideas so far on the data I have collected. I also have to do a couple of pages on the next stage of research.
Most of it is quite straightforward but I have no idea on the chapters until I have got all my data and see where it is leading me. Does it matter if I just do a basic outline, say on chronological lines. I am looking at medieval costume so I could just do 12th, 13th, 14th etc centuries as each chapter. I am going to have an introduction, methodology and theoretical applications, lit review, and conclusion as well. Does this sound about right?

C

You could structure with a chronology or maybe thematically. Maybe chapters like 'costume and gender' or 'costume and class', 'region' etc... you could then be chronological within each chapter.

S

i'm not sure about your university but at mine (lancaster) the first panel review is a very relaxed one. basically the supervisors simply want to see what work you've done your first year and what you want to accomplish in your second. Hopefully your supervisor is giving you some very specific advice as to what you should submit. All in all, i wouldn't worry about it at all. One thing you can do is be prepared to feel silly for not talking/writing about some glaringly obvious point which your supervisors (esp. the visiting one) will identify. But that's to be expected afterall since you can't see the forest for the trees some times, right?