First week PhD - Disappointment

Z

Hello everyone,

I started my PhD last Monday and I feel exhausted. It feels like there is so much to do but so little time to do it. I had a proper meeting with my supervisors yesterday to discuss a bit and I left the office feeling dumb as f***!!! I feel tired all the time and it's only been 5 days!! Feels like I am in over my head.. Does this get better in time?

How are you guys coping?

ZR

C

Hi ZaoRazor

It'll take time for you to get used to it - even just getting used to a new routine and getting to know your supervisor is hard work at the start. Don't panic - I spent most of my first semester thinking 'What have I done?' :)

P

Yes that's normal. I'd go further than chickpea - I think I spent the whole first year not really knowing what I was doing and now the thesis is coming along nicely.

D

Remember the PhD is a marathon not a sprint!
Just break the PhD down into tasks. The first task is getting research training and deciding on your exact research question(s). Looking at the whole thing will seem daunting.
So don't have too high expectations for your first month.
I'm feeling the same way after my first week of a Postdoc, and having to tell myself the same things.

Z

Hey everyone,

Thank you for taking the time to reply! Good luck to everyone starting now, whether it's the 1st, 2nd, 3rd year of PhD or your postdoc :)

H

What exactly are you doing that there is so much to do? Its normal to feel lost in the 1st year.

S

This is very normal. I'm three weeks to submission and this feeling of being dumb as f*** still hasn't gone away. One solution is to develop strategies for work and self-care. Plan your workload: compile a bibliography; set out what you'll read over the week and then organise your daily reading timetable. (I would suggest setting yourself a daily target split between articles and chapters. You'll feel much more successful and motivated at the end of the day.) Take breaks. Meet other people - PhDs and non-PhDs. However, if you feel the stress is really affecting you, perhaps organise a meeting with the student health centre (mental health) at your university?

And, at the end of it, when you have Dr before your name, remember these feelings. It will help you to be humble, caring and kind towards the lowly PhD students you'll supervise one day. ;)

Z

Quote From Chococake:
What exactly are you doing that there is so much to do? Its normal to feel lost in the 1st year.

Hey :) On my first day they just through a bunch of information at me (deadlines for a review, changes in the proposal and protocol to begin testing before xmas, teaching and marking schedule, modules I have to take etc.) It's in an area significantly different compared to the things I've been doing for the last 3 years. It can be overwhelming when they ask you questions you don't know the answers to.

Quote From akkasistan:
This is very normal. I'm three weeks to submission and this feeling of being dumb as f*** still hasn't gone away. One solution is to develop strategies for work and self-care. Plan your workload: compile a bibliography; set out what you'll read over the week and then organise your daily reading timetable. (I would suggest setting yourself a daily target split between articles and chapters. You'll feel much more successful and motivated at the end of the day.) Take breaks. Meet other people - PhDs and non-PhDs. However, if you feel the stress is really affecting you, perhaps organise a meeting with the student health centre (mental health) at your university?

And, at the end of it, when you have Dr before your name, remember these feelings. It will help you to be humble, caring and kind towards the lowly PhD students you'll supervise one day. ;)

Thanks for the reply akkasistan! That is very helpful indeed! :)

D

I am reminded of an excellent quotation of Albert Einstein
If we knew what it was we were doing, it would not be called research, would it?

H

Quote From ZaoRazor:
Quote From Chococake:

Hey :) On my first day they just through a bunch of information at me (deadlines for a review, changes in the proposal and protocol to begin testing before xmas, teaching and marking schedule, modules I have to take etc.) It's in an area significantly different compared to the things I've been doing for the last 3 years. It can be overwhelming when they ask you questions you don't know the answers to.

Oh I'm in my 3rd year and I still don't have answers to most of the questions they ask me. I've been told viva examiners will eat me alive! :( But hey ho, life goes on :) Try not to take what supervisors say too seriously.

Quote From Chococake:
I've been told viva examiners will eat me alive! :(

...that's what happens to a chococake though! ;)

Z

Quote From Eds:
Quote From Chococake:

Hahaha XD

H

Quote From Eds:
Quote From Chococake:

Haha! You genius :-P

G

Quote From DocInsanity:
I am reminded of an excellent quotation of Albert Einstein
If we knew what it was we were doing, it would not be called research, would it?

^^^THIS!^^^

But seriously, ZaoRazor, everyone (who's human) feels like this at the start (and throughout!). It's completely normal and you'll find it goes away and then comes back again from time to time. you're doing the right thing seeking support - this forum is awesome. You're going to be fine! Take a breath, and like DocInsanity said, break things down into smaller chunks.

Good luck!!

Z

Thanks glowworm! The forum is indeed an awesome place to discuss these issues

Quick question. Do you happen to know who decides which modules do PhDs teach? Do the supervisors get involved? I am assigned to demonstrating (1st year undergrads) and marking while others get more high profile modules (3rd year seminars etc)

Thanks again :)