Focus groups-pay organisations?

P

Hiya,

I'm about to run some focus groups through organisations. I was just wondering about peoples experiences with these. Some of the organisations who've agreed to take part want will only participate if their paid. As anyone come across this, and if so, how much money have you paid out to organisations?

B

Hi pineapple. I have just recently come across this where a participant wanted me to cover the cost for their hours out of work which I guess would have included the time it would take to get to and from the venue. I think the cost would be their annual salary divided up by hours you would be asking them to participate. I am only able to pay for their travel expenses and some refreshments. You say you are running the group through organisations. Is it staff from the one organisation and if yes would you be paying for each individual persons time out of work. I see from your post that you say you would be paying the organisation. I mean the results from your research would be very interesting for the organisations? I guees you are getting some organisations that are going to participate voluntarily.

R

Hi pineapple,

I am doing research involving focus groups as well. I do not pay participants anything, although I think a incentive is very important for people to attend / partcipate (e.g. "education points", "tea/ coffee/ biscuits" etc.
I have been to groups myself were participants were offered a meal and been to one study where you got 30 Euros if you filled a questionnaire.

Not sure regarding payment and ethical issues. I think, if you pay at all, this should only be a very small amount.

S

I have to pay my participants and the ethics committee stipulated that everyone had to be paid the same whether they required it or not - which was a total PITA.