Formal confirmation of studentship?

K

In May I attended an interview for a research studentship. I was sucessfully nominated for a 1+3 faculty studentship and told I would received formal confirmation from the research degrees office within a month. I have still heard nothing, despite contacting them. Is this normal. I am concerned as I have jacked in my research assistant post to take up the studentship and also would like to know when in September the MRES in the first year actually starts (as a mum this is quite important information). Is this lact of confirmation/information normal, or should I start worrying?

Am new to forum - thanks in advance for any response

S

um - which research council is this?
as far as i remember from reading the ESRC guidelines, they may contact you in june if they need further information, but they won't inform you of decisions before july. concerning the "open competition" the guidelines say they will inform your university at the latest july 31st (and it is your university's job to inform you). i think you are referring to a quota place - this might be communicated a bit earlier - during july. the guidelines also say that under no circumstances will they reply to enquiries.
so - i wouldn't be too worried. but you could look up the guidelines of your RC to be certain.

K

Thank you Shani for your reply. Its a University studentship, there was one ESRC studentship which presumably went to another better applicant. I was told that I would receive a formal confirmation from the university Research Office in June. I shall just have to be patient (or nag administration).
Thanks

J

Hello Kollantai

I got a studentship (ESRC 1 + 3) last year and understand what you are going through! I am asssuming that your place at the university is official? (sometimes it all happens at once!) You should have a PG admin contact who will let you know what you should know and when? I heard that I was being considered for the award in about April and then heard officially in July. Have you asked anyone at the uni about it? They should have had the courtesy to let you know either way. One thing I would say - never overestimate the organsation at a uni! Supervisors, department heads - anyone who makes a decision that will affect your life - their heads are in the clouds most of the time and a bit of a nudge is usually needed to get a straight answer!

As for the MRes - mine started in Sept and carried on till Sept - does your uni not have the term dates online? they should do - or again ask the PG uni secretary. (Secretaries are amazing - use them!) hope this helps.

K

Thanks all

I had already chased up pg admin and central research unit in June. Have just phoned (yet again - I didn't want to be put down as a troublemaker before starting!)to hear that papers were held up in the deans office and should be receiving letters soon. The administrator was very apologetic about the long wait. I have checked terms times but wanted to know when the MRES induction would start (trying to fit in driving lessons before I emabark on it plus want to ensure that eldest daughter's first month in secondary school is relaxed). Am happy now as. Thanks for the advice.