Formatting

G

======= Date Modified 09 Jan 2011 02:58:49 =======
Hi everyone: Just a quick question. I'm getting ready to submit and I can't for the life of me find the answer to this seemingly simple question anywhere! So hopefully someone can help...Do you centre titles??? I mean, say in your introduction, do you centre the word 'Introduction' or is it kept to the left hand side? I know this is a silly question but I just want to be sure. Thanks for any help! (up)

p.s. I'm using MHRA guidelines but they don't specify and neither does my university's research handbook. Thanks again

C

Hi Gillian.

Personally i didn't centre the headings and thinking about the few PhDs I've read I don't think others did either... obviously this is not to say etc etc, it was a very small sample size !

All the best with your submission and when you're in the middle of the mania of last minute stuff everything seems like a silly question doesn't it, don't worry ask away.

Chuff

A

From all the PhDs I've looked at and from my, half-written one that I am formatting as I go, the main chapter titles are centered and all the sub-ones are on the left, flush with the left margin. I think the main thing is to be consistent whatever style you choose. My uni does have a formattting guide and there it says to center the main title and all others to be on the left.

Best of luck submitting, you lucky thing :-)