forum and escapism

My literature review chapter won't write itself, and I find myself coming to the forum far too often, reading entries, refreshing pages etc. :-(

R

hi 404,

I found it very difficult as well to write a research proposal yet did find it helpful to set a deadline and to use the proposal as a means of putting things into a structure.

B

Foruming is my preferred method of procrastination.
There are a couple that I visit (and now here too!) and I always have them open.
It's such a bad habit and I'm much more productive when in an internet-less environment. But then I can't help myself.

*hangs head in shame*

S

I'd like to think that the reason that I don't come here as often as I used to is due to my commitment to my research. Unfortunately, that is not the case as my new method of procrastination is Facebook. Very addictive.

I was doing ok until now. But I only have 5 months more of funding left, and I should finish writing up my thesis by September. I wonder if it's even possible. That pressure is so annoying.

C

I get so irrate when it is early in the morning and nobody is posting messages - why can't other people slack during the week and then do massive panic 'grand gestures' before supervisions? The we could ALL keep each other company at 3am

Refresh, refresh, refresh, refresh *ibid.*

even at this time of the evening. Only 7.30pm, and the last post was around 5.30. I think I am replacing forum with swimming. I went to swimming for 20 minutes earlier this evening, and ended up staying there for 1 and a half hour. Another form of escapism I guess. A bit healthier but colder than the forum

A

Ooh I've just started swimming too! I also knit (and read millions of knitting websites) when I'm procrastinating.

I knit too alicepalace. At least until 2 weeks ago. What are you knitting at the moment? I am making a cotton scarf for my mother. I've been thinking of making a jumper for my bf for ages. I bought the yarn and the pattern, but couldn't start yet.

C

I'm halfway through a pillarbox red merino-cashmere blend scarf. I order my stuff through 'laughing hen' online.

So relaxing....

B

Another knitter here. Though I don't use it to procrastinate, more to give my hands something to do in front of the TV.

knittinghelp.com is quite good, if you haven't visited before.

F

Guardian Unlimited Talk is a great way to use up all that time that you might otherwise spend on work [sigh]

Otherwise, all the usual things. "If only my desk/bookshelves were a bit tidier I'd be able to work much more efficiently."

"I'll read this magazine until eleven o'clock then really get down to it."

"This sudoku/crossword will help tone up my brain ready for a good go at all that work waiting for me."

"Well, I can't work properly on an empty stomach, can I? Brain, oxygen, etc etc. So if I break now for a cup of tea and slice of cake I'll be able to work much better afterwards."

J

http://www.yetisports.org/

Once you've started you won't be able to stop. Worth registering for (it's free)

A

Wow I can't believe how many other knitters there are! I cruise craftster.org a lot when I'm at my part-time job to get pattern ideas. I was thinking about making my supervisor something really fancy like a massive lace shawl for when I finish - I'm 18 months in to my PhD so I'm thinking I ought to start now to complete both together!