found a lost dog

I was walking my own dog and was just about home when this little white terrier type thing came up to my dog and had the obligatory sniff etc. I assumed he was with the man just ahead of him as he trotted after him. But just as I turned the corner I noticed that the dog had changed direction and then he darted out into the middle of the road - cue screeching tyres etc. So I ran across the road put my dogs lead on this little white thing and brought him home with us. I deposited my dog safely at home and brought the white dog back out hoping that somebody would recognize him. No joy - so have him at home with me now. He has a collar but there are no details - address, phone number etc. There is this rather large black box thing which say "battery" on it. I'm assuming it must be for some sensor type thing - but that's just a guess. Does anyone know if these things are usually registered so I could trace the owner that way or if they're just bought off the shelf? I'll put up some posters around the area too and then if all else fails I'll either try find it a new home or bring it to the dog shelter I suppose.

P.S. Sorry I know this is WAY off topic - but there are some knowledgeable dog-owners on the forum I thought might have some ideas.

N

Having worked as a vet nurse I'd say go to you're local shelter of vet to see if it's microchipped. That's a 10 second thing to do and the vet/shelter has access to a database with names and addresses of people who registered their dog's chip.

Good luck!

Awww, I wish I found an ickle doggy!

I don't think those things are registered and if he's a little white dog - i.e. a terrior of some kind then its probably to stop him barking/yap yapping all day.

I'd take him to the vets tomorrow and see if he's been identity chipped or has a tattoo or something.

THe vets should be able to then take the details and run it against any recent enquiries.

You could also try putting a poster up in the local shop - although careful not to give too many details, so you don't just get anyone saying its theirs. Also tell other dog walkers, they might know who owns it.

Good Luck!

Thanks Sneaks and Niekyvanveggel. Well, I still have the little guy. We put up posters yesterday in the local shops and on poles etc but so far no calls. I need to separate him from my dog a bit or at least keep an eye on them. This little guy is REALLY affectionate - I mean he licks inside my dogs ears and her eyes and everything - I've never seen a dog do this before.
I'm going to have a search for the nearest vet to me - I don't drive so it'll have to be pretty close. I'll get him scanned to see if he has a micro-chip. I've noticed as well that his eye seems a bit sore.
The problem is that I need to drop something into work early and the whole department will be grumpy if I don't! Bad timing!

Z

Is there a gumtree for your area? Might be something posted on that. But getting microchip checked sounds like best plan - lovely of you to look after him so well though (up). I was walking my wee dog this morning and found something less pleasant - a dead cat :-(. Looked like it had been a pet as well so not sure what to do. It was in a wooded area in park and up off path. Don't know whether to contact council or leave it be...

N

Zipidee,

You can contact the council, they usually pick up dead animals, and should normally have a microchip scanner to scan pets when found. However, every council has it's own regulations, so you might have to ask yours.

N

Good luck with the little dog Ev - you never know you might end up keeping him! He should have a microchip though, it's basically obligatory for dogs now to be chipped after their 12 week injection.

J

I don' think it is obligatory for dogs to be chipped - the bill ran out of time with the general election. Most people I know haven't had theirs chipped (we had ours done and it did mean he was promptly returned to us when he went missing)

I have located the owners everyone! He wasn't micro-chipped but both the dog pound and the local shelter matched my description with the owners so they're on the way to pick him up. So a happy ending all round. He's a lovely little dog but I'm not sure how long my dog would have put up with sharing my attention!!

Z

Oh, how lovely! Well done you - have a mince pie (mince)

Aww that's great Ev

Zipidee - you might want to phone the local vet to describe the dead cat you saw. Councils don't tend to scan dead cats for microchips - very annoying for owners who never find out what happened to them :-(