friend/spouse supervisor

A

Hi all! I contemplate applying for a PhD and was wondering what are the precise rules with regards to choosing supervisor at the UK university? Can I for instance have a supervisor who is my friend as we both are from the same subject group and share similar interests? What about being supervised by a husband or wife who is an academic and is willing to take his/her spouse on? Would you please give me your thoughts on the above? Many thanks :-)

T

Hmmm, if you're a later-stage researcher who's experienced and just looking to pick up a PhD in the course of their work I guess it could work. However for the average PhD bear I certainly wouldn't recommend having someone so close as your supervisor. Whether or not it creates a formal conflict of interest I don't know, but I assume your university regulations would tell you.

H

I definitely wouldn't recommend a friend or spouse as a supervisor. The sup. is supposed to, well, be many things, and in the last stages in particular, a bit of a jerk. :) That is - they should be able to be unpleasant and uncompromising without having to worry about your relationship with them. I think many people would agree, it's all smiles and coffees in the beginning, but once the work is due, THINGS CHANGE! :)

I've had a lot of friends read and comment on my work - and that's great, and I've learned a lot and incorporated it. But my sup. is there to give it to me straight, you know? To tell me where it sucks and won't make it past review. Basically, to beat me up intellectually. It hurts at the time, but that's his/her job. If a friend or significant other was doing that? No, it wouldn't work.

hmm, this is a difficult one. my hubby does a PhD and although I'm not a sup, I know if I were I could literally tell him it was awful and it wouldn't affect our relationship, and hopefully would make his thesis better! So if you have a relationship with the spouse where you can be totally candid then that's fine - although, as teek says, perhaps a conflict of interest.

I would stay WELL AWAY from a friend - you will end up resenting them for it. You kind of need somone superior I would say, I think if your sup is too equal to you then it will cause issues.

S

Yes, I echo what Helen says - your sup is there to support and push you, and sometimes they do need to be harsh. I'd completely avoid having either a spouse or a friend as a supervisor - you need boundaries around the relationship with a supervisor, it has to be completely professional. It would be too easy to end up resenting a spouse or friend. Besides that, you're going to need them for emotional support, to take you out, to listen to your complaints, and to make you cups of tea - a different role from a supervisor. Keep them separate.

S

if my husband supervised me I will definitely go crazy

N

It would lead to resentment from your colleagues also. What happens if he has PhD students who need attention and need work reading your supervisor (spouse/friend) is giving you all the attention or none at all (as not to show favouritism)? It would bread serious contempt and resentment. I would keep the two separate.

C

Surely a situation like that would be against university regulations anyway (at least at my uni, it says so in the handbook).

If my boyfriend supervised me I think I would last about a day! :-)

A

Thank you for your thoughts. I must agree you are right, that is not a good idea to have a relative or a friend as a supervisor. However, it still appears to be quite enigmatic, shady area..... a friend of mine has within his department a new student (she is the wife of the one of Prof. who teaches there and he is a principal supervisor of his wife PhD) That made me quite curious how can it be? From what I gather it must be that every university has a different guidelines when it comes to the supervisory arrangements. Hmmmm...... that made me wonder if someone else know of the similar case? Thanks a lot!