Full-time work / part-time PhD

P

I have read quite a few similar posts but none have really given me the answer i am after.

I am thinking about completing a part time PhD in International Relations whilst working full time in a completely unrelated job.

I am not concerned about time pressures as i am confident that i will be able to do the work in the evenings and on the weekends. My concern is that i won't be able to attend anything going on in the department in working hours as i will be working Mon-Fri 9-5.

I don't think i will need to attend undergraduate/masters seminars as i have an MA in International Relations.

What i don't really know is besides producing a thesis what other requirements are put upon PhD students and what restrictions my work commitments may have on my meeting these commitments.

Thanks.

E

I am working FT as a special needs teacher and I am doing a PT PhD in a completely different field. Plus, I don't live in UK and my first language is not English!
When I was interviewed by my supervisors I was asked how I was going to deal with the distance and my job. We agreed that I could visit the uni every 3 months and have my meetings then. So far this has worked (I am writing up) and I didn't have any problems. The only drawback is that I don't know anybody from my department!!!!
I think that you should talk with your supervisor and see what s/he has in mind....

Good luck!

D

I was working full time and studying part time and had to attend three study days during the PhD as these were compulsory. I took annual leave for these days. Otherwise I use Skype to keep in touch with my supervisors and to be honest have no idea of what other students are in the same faculty. My research topic is specific to me only so there are no collaborations to be concerned about. I have some journal publications and conference poster presentations that were all dealt with and approved via email or skype.

Hope that helps!

C

======= Date Modified 19 Dec 2010 15:20:28 =======

"What i don't really know is besides producing a thesis what other requirements are put upon PhD students and what restrictions my work commitments may have on my meeting these commitments."

The answer to this depends upon your field and your sup. In my case, the thesis is the only requirement. Publications are a happy by-product. This will vary.

As below, unless you're doing a collaborative project your work will be largely on your own.

The main relationship you will need to manage is with your supervisor, this makes a massive difference. If you get that right, the rest of your PhD will be much easier.

I would ask your sup this very question, if you haven't already. It will show you are keen to be part of the team and not only concerned with your progress. Its a good sign of things to come I think.

All the very best. Chuff

H

Certainly talk to your supervisor, he or she is the best to advice you. My PhD has group working elements, so I have to be in at office times. However, I know a person in my department who is from abroad and will skype his supervisor every month and come down to the UK once every 5 months. So it really depends on the type of PhD you are doing and what your supervisor and occasionally the department prefers. All the best :)