Fundamentle error???? arrrrgghhhhh

R

While you're checking your calculations, I also recommend checking to see if you've spelt 'fundamental' correctly in your papers too.

J

S

Yes come clean, but don't stress! We all make mistakes. I presented a paper at a conference with a fundamental error in it and won an award for it - it took a while for me to find the mistake, but now corrected it for that chapter of my thesis even though I had to completely re-do the analysis - luckily it wasn't published yet (I had been under pressure to do so - luckily I'd only got as far as conference proceedings). But even experts make mistakes, one of my friends recently found an error in one of the equations in a key tome on the subject (the guru guide for my subject)... and lots of people use that book & the equations in it as their reference tome!

M

Dear RogueAcademic, you normally offer such sound, useful advice, as a new member I had a good opinion of you as someone with integrity, whoe advice I'd take seriouly if (and probably when) I'd seek it. However I'm afraid that I find your last comment on this thread churlish to say the least. Why say that? It's not supportive nor considerate. I'd be very hurt to receive that comment and you have to bear in ind that many posters here are not using their first langauge, or are tired/stressed or both. If you can interpret what's being said, there is no need to get the red pen out on the message. I hope you don't ever respond to me like that, I'd be quite upset.

R

manda - thank you for your kind words regarding my sound and useful posts in this forum. It is not my thinking that many people notice. I am known to be many things amongst my friends, colleagues and associates. A number of them know me to be dedicated, focused, unquestioningly steadfastly loyal and trustworthy. A number of others might think I'm cunning, but lazy and an introverted reclusive or worse still, a liar and a cheat(??). But most at some point or other, have known me to have a witty sense of humour, the kind of humour that strikes right at the heart of the observable life unfolding before all of us. And I believe my best work has been delivered deadpan, I know I've managed to incite belly-laughs from the most straight-down-the-line of individuals. That is, amongst my friends, colleagues and associates of course.

R

What you have reminded me today is that I am not amongst friends, colleagues and associates on this forum. Most of us are strangers to the rest of us here, and elements of humour or sarcasm is further veiled by the difficulty of communicating not only to fellow peers but peers in other countries and cultural background purely by mere words on the computer screen.

One thing you should know is that in the short time I've been on this forum I have shown nothing but support for those whose threads I've posted on. Take it how you will.

M

Hi Rogueacademic- I'm new to this site, (hello everyone by the way) and I'm glad not to have been on the receiving end of your last comment which I think is unkind, if not meant humourously (and even then a bit dodgy!) Most posters on this site seem to be really supportive so this comment stiks out like a sore thumb really. In times of stress, don't we all mis-type smoething?

R

Hell no, forgive me for seeing the humourous side to it but I was trying to figure out whether keehaa genuinely intended to spell it 'fundamentle' (as evidenced twice in the original post) when, for all intents and purposes, he/she appears to have a very firm command of English, aided by my (skewed, perhaps) observation that most non-native English speakers rarely start a conversation with a "hi ya folks" salutation. It's also interesting to note that keehaa's posts appear to be lazily posted with missed capital letters and frequent missed punctuations.

J

manda - no pun intended, but we do have moderators on this site. it is not your job to deal with people's conduct/ comments on this site, especially when they are NOT directed at you. sounds like you should be keeping yourself busy on other matters - not moderating - coz that role is not vacant at least not as far as i know. we're here to share opinions, not to moderate other members perceived behaviour.

cheers,
J.

K

R.academic

I saw the funny side to your comment, you can clearly see why i missed my mistake in my equation. Im clearly inept at spelling and equations, oh lets not forget punctuation im going to give up now!!!!!
The good news, as well as me missing the mistake, the peers who reviewed my paper also did. This makes me feel a lot better and the realisation that any one can make a mistake. on the other hand well done on spotting a spelling mistake how very important much more important than peers spotting a mistake in a research paper. ha ha hope you see the funny side to this to!!!!!!

M

To Jojo- I'm not moderating anything! or even trying to!! I have the same right to sit about and procrastinate (as opposed to writing or reading anything) as anyone else!

J

i see - just don't don't procrastinate at others.