Funded Studentship Interview

C

Hello!

I have an interview for a funded PhD studentship next week and even though the ad included an outline of the study, I am slightly starting to get worried that I don't know enough to do a PhD and I’m going to get asked some seriously intense questions in my interview. Thus, I was wondering if anyone had asked for a copy of the protocol when invited for an interview for a funded studentship and if it would be wise to do so?

Thanks,
Ceruse

E

Hi Ceruse
What area are you going into? I wasn't asked any detailed questions relating to specific projects at my interview but I was asked general questions about the area.
You might find that whilst the research question has been identified the protocol for investigation has not yet been determined - that is your job as a PhD student(!)
More relevant might be reading related publications, particularly those from your potential supervisors. Were any citations detailed with the advert? If not it might be worth asking for them before the interview and having a look at them. (This will also help you to decide whether this project is of interest to you).
Good luck!
Ejc x

T

There have been questions like this before so you might be able to search to get more answers.

But basically, you will probably be asked some questions regarding your understanding of what the project involves but i wouldn't imagine it to be too intense. so just make sure that you more or less understand everything that is in the project proposal. They will then ask you things about your past experience and background. But in my experience they will be more interested in your character and motivation for doing a PhD. They will also want to ensure that you know what you are getting yourself into :)

I doubt to be honest that they will have a protocol to send out to interviewees.

K

Hi Ceruse,

i didnt ask for a protocol. Most likely you may be asked some general questions. Why do you want to do a phd? What is your motivation? ( to add to knowlwedge, prove its something you are passionate about) What strength will you bring to the PhD study( past experiences, qualitative skills, quantitative skills etc). What kind of research have you done in the past? what kind of analysis did you use? What is the latest interesting findinds or trend in the field you want to delve into? Its quite subjective but a discussion with your prospective director of studies about the research could help give you more ideas. All the best,

Koturu

K

Hi Ceruse,

i didnt ask for a protocol. Most likely you may be asked some general questions. Why do you want to do a phd? What is your motivation? ( to add to knowlwedge, prove its something you are passionate about) What strength will you bring to the PhD study( past experiences, qualitative skills, quantitative skills etc). What kind of research have you done in the past? what kind of analysis did you use? What is the latest interesting findinds or trend in the field you want to delve into? Its quite subjective but a discussion with your prospective director of studies about the research could help give you more ideas. All the best,

Koturu