Funding, a year in

T

Hi,

I am one year into my PhD. It's going well, I enjoy the work and the people I work with. The problem is my funding. I was offered over £18000 a year, this was a deciding factor for starting a PhD. This didn't materialise at the start and I was put on a temporary £14000. 13 months later I am still on this temporary amount with no sign of the promised increase.

I have nothing in writing about my funding and fear that I could get the the end and be left £12000 out of pocket.

I am enjoying my PhD and have had a successful first year, I have spoken to my supervisor and he just keeps saying he's doing his best, and I do believe him. Should I push the issue and go to a higher authority or just be happy with my lot, given that I'm funded to the equivalent of an EPSRC student. Given that most people seem to have a rubbish time on a phd (according to what stories i've read) and i'm enjoying mine I feel maybe I should just be grateful and leave the issue.

Advice would be great, thank you

D

£14,000, I dream of £14,000!

My first year = £7000, my second = £6500. This year I have £1500 until the new year because my external funding source hasn't decided whether they will continue with the scheme. So, honestly, be grateful for what you've got!

i would keep applying gentle pressure so you eventually get what's due - but £14000 is about average or higher than most department funded PhDs - so I wouldn't throw a hissy fit.

Bear in mind that when they do sort this out, you will have a nice lovely windfall. - I am ESRC funded and my industrial partner only pay once invoiced before April - so I get £500 each month for four months to make up for it not going in to my account during the year. I love those four months! :-x

T

Yes £14k is a decent stipend, but if you were given a job offer with £18k then that's what you should get! I take it the amount wasn't specified in any emails or advertisments? It's completely unprofessional of your department to offer you money they didn't have in place, but it's certainly not the first time I've heard of this. Is there anyone higher up you could take this if your supervisor isn't getting anywhere?