Funding approval - just a formality?

N

I heard today that I have been nominated by my institution for an AHRC block grant studentship. Hurrah! (the moon must have been in conjunction with Saturn, or something).

One thing that gave me pause for thought, was the mention on the email I received, that all studentships had to be approved, firstly by the institution's central funding committee, and secondly by the AHRC. I was wondering, is this just a formality to check that I fit the basic criteria (UK residency, eligible previous degrees etc.)? Or is there a real chance that I can be turned down because the committee/AHRC can just decide that I don't "deserve" a studentship?

Would appreciate advice from anyone who has gone through this process already, or who knows more about it. I'm holding off on celebrations till I know that the award can't be snatched away from me! Cheers

R

I went through it last year and for me and the others I know of it was just a formality. I was really worried about it, but once it had passed the department/school/university bodies I think you are pretty safe. Good luck and congratulations on getting the nomination!

E

hello,
I don't know much about these things but I am currently applying to study for a PhD. I put on my application that I wanted to be considered for ESRC funding and for the Uni Scholarship competition. The other day I received an email back from the Uni saying that I had been nominated to go through to the ESRC board but on getting there, had been unsuccessful :(
Not sure if this is a similar situation to yours but I emailed the department and they said that only people who are nominated by the department get through to the board, and then the decision is made from there.
I am still waiting to hear about the scholarship...
I know that competition for research council funding is fierce, so if you've come this far, it looks positive :)
Good luck :)

N

Emmab, I'm sorry that your nomination didn't go through - best of luck with the scholarship.

Do you mean that your department interviewed you and nominated you for an award, but you were then turned down by a central committee, or do you mean that you applied but were not interviewed?

Sorry to pursue the point, I'm just trying to work out if I can safely spend money yet! :$

R

The AHRC gives the university a certain amount of studentships in a five year period. It is then up to the university to select and dish these out. The AHRC must then approve the awards, but if you read the AHRC guidelines it says that it takes no part in the selection process, but must approve nomiations, which i think is mainly to check eligibility criteria etc. I think the other poster is talking about a different research body and I'm not sure if their regulations are the same.
Obviously you want to hear the definite 'yes', but it is unlikely you will be turned down.

E

Hey,

No I wasn't interviewed... I got the email, so I emailed and asked a few questions (mainly because I didn't even know I was being put forward for funding at this point) and I was told that 'only applications that get nominated go through to the funding board committee' - I think they were making me feel better about being turned down, kinda like, "oh, but you were good enough to get nominated so don't worry too much blah blah!!"
your situation sounds more positive :p