Funding question/ MPhil - HELP!!

T

Hey all,

I hope someone can help me. I'm at a UK university funded to do a PhD. I'm in my second year and having problems and my advisor is not really entirely helpful - I dare say he has taken very little interest in my studies over the past year in fact!

Consequently, I just received notice that I need to hand in a new piece of work which will determine if I am to be degraded to an MPhil in my final year.

I have a few questions:

* If the worst came to it and I walked away from this would I have to pay back the funding given to me so far by the university?

* Does my funding continue for the final year if I am "only" working towards an MPhil?

* Would working towards an MPhil involve handing in a dissertation or would I need to attend classes?

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help.

D

I would check with the uni regulations but I don't think you would've to pay the money back.  I know someone who left at the end of the 1st year and didn't have to pay the money back.

Similarly you need to check with the regulations of your uni and/or funding body about the conditions attached to your funding. I think you will need to be registered as working towards a degree to get the funding.

A MPhil is still a highly respected degree which follows the same structure as a PhD except you don't need to do as much work so you hand in a shorter dissertation.  I don't think there is any requirement to attend classes as it is basically a research degree although not as in depth as a PhD. I would check the requirements of your uni as these vary between unis - have you got a dept handbook which you can refer to? 

Good luck with your new piece of work. It must be heart breaking to be in such a situation especially as your supervisor has not been much help.  Have you made it clear that he hasn't been much help as that help towards your argument for continuing with the PhD. Have you a chat with your postgrad tutor/welfare officer/impartial director of research as I think you need to make it clear that your supervisor isn't pulling his weight and it has really affected your work.  Have you a second supervisor who you can go to for help or ask for a new supervisor? I think you've got a good case to do so.

I really hope this works out and your supervisor isn't going to affect your chances of getting your PhD! You can do it! (up)