Funding

G

Hi, I previously posted about PhD options. I have a query regarding funding. If I leave a PhD, how difficult would it be to get funding again at a later stage if I decided in future to re-start a PhD? Thanks.

It could make things quite difficult, particularly if you're after funding from the same source. It will depend on the initial terms of your grant and on the circumstances of you leaving. Certainly a few people do have more than one go at starting a PhD.

You should not begin a PhD in the belief that if you don't like it you can always give up and start another one. The chances are you'll find it difficult to find a supervisor who wants to take somebody on who has already started and stopped a PhD.

G

Would supervisors/universities get to know previously uncompleted PhD, if the funding source is different?

Maybe not, but you'll need references to get appointed. Lying is not generally a good idea. Academia is a very small world; the chances are quite high that you would be found out at some point, which could leave you in deep trouble. In theory if you deliberately lie or mislead people on your application or at interview then the grant awarding body could ask for their cash back.

G

hi
do what u want to do, never give up, u will fine another

good luck

G

Can it really be that everyone finds the right phd 1st time?

If you stick with the 1st one, and it leads you down the wrong path, what are your options?

G

If you are really unhappy in a PhD position, there is no way that you should continue to make yourself miserable for n number of years. However, a failed PhD is not good for anyone's CV and if you possibly can, you should stick at it. After all, you can move on to a related topic that interests you more as a Post-doc.