Further dispatches from the post doc front

J

Unbelievable. If the evidence is clear, both the time and the action log of the computer hard drive and the recorded time of the video tape can confirm deletion of word documents, then the case should be crystal clear, even if she denies.

If that woman continues to work there, than the world is just out of order. She deleted someone else's work, that's about the most evil thing to do because writing a literature review may take months. I really do hope they show some backbone and get rid of her. Sorry about the interruption.

S

Yeah, tend to agree. The files should still be on the hard drive even if the recycle bin has been cleaned. Linking the time of deletion to the CCTV tapes should produce the compelling evidence needed. Might be worth taking the said computer away in case her ladyship comes back to finish the job. Watch your back BHD until all this is over!

M

We are all here for you BHC. There is no way that you , sarbina and Katy can work in the same department after the incident . This girl have threaten you and I cant believe she is still here . Just because she is on a more prestigious sponsorship doesnt mean that she cant be expel. It look like that your PI is weak and all about the money !

A

What exactly does the CCTV show? Can you see anything on the screen, unlikely probably. If the screen isn't visible at all unless the deletion of the file can be linked to the time of the CCTV video the evidence isn't concrete. I mean, she could have been checking her emails because she couldn't be arsed to go to her PC. It's a tough one.

B

Unbelievable!

Katy has launched a counter-allegation that she was being bullied by the entire team. Aparently she went to tell her external supervisor that "we have ALL been ganging up on her from day one" and the external is totally backing her up.

She has also made a complaint that she recieved inadequate supervision because the PI was never around. This is sort of true, but she is in the lit review part of her PhD and is expected to be fairly autonomous for this stage.

Ms Ultra-competitive reckons that Katy is going to go fishing for a big compensation payout, but I have never heard anything like this before. Has anyone else?

K

God BHC, she sounds a right piece of work! Is she a contracted uni staff member who is registered for a PhD at the same time? or a 100% student (funded or not)?

PhD students (as in 100% proper students, not RAs who happen to be doing PhDs) fall into a kind of black hole as they're seen as more thann other taught students in a lot of ways, but are not bona fide staff. Becasue of this, I don't think they're protected by the sort of employment laws that allow people to make compensation/dismissal claims. (quite a large loophole for PhDs who ARE unfairly hounded out, but good if dealing with unscrupulous people like her!)

100% students are also not generally members of employment unions either. The NUS would be their supporting organisation and I'm not sure if the NUS can assist with the type of claim she's looking to make. My thoughts are all supposition though.. maybe someone else can be more conclusive?

G

"Katy is going to go fishing for a big compensation payout".

I've got more chance of partnering Rio Ferdinand in the United central defence, than she has of getting that to fly.

J

"Katy has launched a counter-allegation that she was being bullied by the entire team...She has also made a complaint that she recieved inadequate supervision because the PI was never around."

This is classic bully behaviour: when cornered, they will accuse others of exactly what they are guilty of. I used to have a colleague like that: she could reduce grown men and women to tears with her nastiness, yet when confronted would cry herself and claim that we'd all been ganging up on her. She also made a formal complaint about lack of supervision, but didn't get anywhere with it. But it took a long time for management to see through her.

J

woah! i have just had the opportunity to read thro this entire thread. BHC we are all with you on this. don't worry, everything will work out. eventually the truth prevails.

C

She's unbelievable! I'm on holiday and just wanted an update as quite shocked by this thread. She does sounds like she needs to grow up, and her PhD support is a completely unrelated issue to any alleged misconduct!

J

Oh my God!! I can't believe this! I have only just read the whole thing. This is absolutely ridiculous. She cannot justify her actions and throwing insults back at the group from afar (whilst holding her other sup's hand) is not going to save her dignity. She'll never be able to work in science again at this rate. What a scared, deluded little girl.
BHC - I hope you are OK, it's unfair that you are having to deal with this as you've done nothing wrong.
It'll all come out in the wash, it always does, although sometimes it takes a while. I bet that once she's gone, you'll probably find that no-one trusted her or that everyone thought she was a bully. Strange how people speak up later on...
Good Luck, stay strong, and keep us updated! x

B

Thanks for all your concern.

Actually its very strange. Its fairly horrid at the moment, the PI has really placed a lot of faith and responsibility on me, and because of the way I handled the situation with Katy, has made me the "go to" guy if any problems emerge while he is away. He has also written a spectacular letter of recommendation for this Fellowship I was in the process of applying for.

Although the situation sucks, I am looking on the brightside.

K

Looks like things are looking in your favour BHC, that's good. If anyone comes to you in the PI's absence, just stick to facts, don't be drawn in to making personal judgements about anyone in your department, and keep a record of the relevant conversations or correspondence you might have.

If you are a member of a union yourself, it may be worth notifying a representative of the situation and how it applies to you - just for information purposes. Then if Katy decides to get nasty (threatens harassment, etc) you have covered your options and kept appropriate records. Good luck!

G

I was going to suggest the Union bit too. Sound advice.

B

Good news:

1) Katy has been off the radar for a while and seems to be maintaining radio silence. Haven't seen the last of her yet I will wager.
2) Have been given responsibility for running the day to day leadership for the team while PI is in the US. Great experience and am enjoying the status that goes with it.
3) Just got my second PhD major paper published.

Bad news:
1) Ms Ultra-competitive is starting to get a bit shirty about being "superceded" by the new guy.
2) Publication has not improved the situation outlined in point above.