General acomodation question?

W

Hello All!

Question for you......Now Ive got my PhD looking for somewhere to live, Im applying for university halls as manchester has some soley POstgraduate student halls BUT as a UK Postgrad I come somewher bellow an amoeba on the list of who gets places as all undergrads and all International students of any level get allocated a place First!!
So I wont find out till 2 weeks before I start If I have any accom!!

Ekkk!! So what I wann know is should I wait to start looking into private accom (I dont really wann get into hastle of shared bills an sharing with a load of people I dont know) or start now!! Does anyone have any experince of postgrad hall what were they like?

Thanks!

H

You should try one of the private halls:

http://www.accommodationforstudents.com/largerprivatestudenthousing/studentaccommodation_lphs_Manchester.asp

H

Waterbaby, when I did my MSc, I stayed in a private halls of residence which has specific blocks for postgrads. I shared the kitchen living area with 3 other people and had my own ensuite.

I loved it, it was the first time I was in such close contact with international students, not all of them want to stay away from people not of their own kind. In fact I made some really good friends and had a great time.

W

Hmmm had a look at that website some look OK but my from what I have seen of Private halls in the past not gonna jump in too fast requested a few brouchures!

I do still have mates in Manchester from my undergrad days so wont be a total billy no mates just didnt think living with them woul work as have totally different agendas an the council tax thing!!

Im dreading it if I dont get anywhere....I hate looking for accom it sucks an after 4 years of it im pretty picky!

H

Well if you already know people in Manchester then it might be nice to have your own place. No sharing kitchens bathrooms etc etc its great

L

im going to salford next year to do a msc and managed to get a place in halls no problem, i didnt like the postgrad only halls they had and applied for an undergrad hall and was accepted. from talking to people, ive heard that if your going to go for private halls then its best to keep away from tramways.

W

Yeah Im really glad Ive already lived in Manchester for 4 years means I know the areas to avoid and those that are OK.......
Saw Tramways and thought it reminded my of Strangeways rarther (the high security prison in Manchester) So thought I would avoid it!! Stundent village is a dive too!!
Been offered a room in private hall Q3 but is superior luxury or whatever that means...well it has its own balcony....somnewhere to drink pimms on I suppose or abuse the scallies!! But tis on Rusholme Longsite boarder so not too sure myself!!