General viva question

K

I've got mine coming up in January, and have been wondering about a small thing...

Does anyone know if it's possible to record the whole thing? Has anyone ever done this or knows of anyone who has?

My reason for asking is because in the UK it is such a subjective process. To a large extent I think no matter how good a student is, I have known cases where they've been unfairly treated by an external. It seems to have all boiled down to how the examiner felt on the day.

I know this is not the case for most vivas, but I want to protect myself from all angles in case I am treated unreasonably, and would feel better with the knowledge that the whole thing was recorded. I actually think it would be for everybody's benefit, not just me as a student.

A

Are you allowed to have your supervisor present in the viva? if you are this would be a way of getting the process witnessed.

I know there is a lot of discussion going on about introducing ways of making sure the viva process is fair, such as independent chairs or recording. Not sure what the reaction would be if you asked for it if it wasnt actually policy where you are - might imply you dont trust the examiners which might not go down well.

If you have the option I'd go for having your supervisor present.

K

Thanks for the reply - yes, supervisors can sit in, and I've no objection to mine doing this. (I don't think they can say anything)

However in the case of a dispute, how myuc difference would this actually make? The supervisors are biased as they WANT the student to pass!

I asked one of my supervisors and he said he definitely wouldn't recommend it, as it would "create the wrong impression". I am actually quite flabbergasted at this, I think there is nothing unreasonable in what I am asking and am quite surprised that no-one else has thought of this. Particularly as vivas are not conducted in public and are so subjective.

It just seems to me bizarre that it's not recorded because it's generally "not the done thing", which in my opinion is not a sufficiently good reason.

A

There is the issue of consent...!

K

MistaG you have a point. I have thought about his hard since posting, and decided not to request it. Although I still don't think it is an unreasonable thing to ask, I have left it too late to start organising it now. And you are right, it does look too defensive.

I am trying top remain positive and everong on here has been great at giving sonstructive advice. I have arranged a mock viva with supervisors and one of them has agreed to sit in on the viva with me (we are allowed this at my uni). I have also since seen my GP and have been prescribed some beta blockers to manage my anxiety.