Getting a job after your PhD? You're having a giraffe!

H

Quote From incognito:
Hi ginga,
I disagree with HazyJane, however, when she said that employers see you as potentially less equipped than BSc/MSc ppl: it all depends on how you market yourself vis-a-vis job specs.

I didn't express my point as well as I could. I agree that marketing is key. If, however, you simply rely on "I have a PhD therefore you must know I'm awesome" I don't think that will get one very far. Better instead to demonstrate how the skills and experience gained are relevant to the needs of the employer.

S

Hi ginga,

I agree that "nastiness" on the part of employers is often how job applicants generally (and not just with PhDs) perceive lack of response from employers to whom they've applied. Personally, I would stop short of describing it as "nasty", but agree that it's rude. How many times have we read "if you don't hear anything within two weeks, please assume..." yadah-yadah? Unfortunately, we live in the disposable era. Yes, the internet has empowered, but it has also degraded our treatment of others. Look at on-line social networking sites, where having 1000+ friends is seen as a badge of honour and friendship itself is degraded. So with on-line recruitment, i.e. employers vs applicants.

To be fair, with the job market being particularly rancid at the moment and with PhDs way outstripping the number of post-doc jobs available, employers are getting hundreds of CVs for every post. Whilst it still doesn't cost them anything (well, much) to notify applicants of outcomes, I do know that things like wrong font and spelling mistakes on CVs and applications are used to ruthlessly weed out applicants before their applications are even read.

I think HazyJane has hit the nail on the head in her responses...

Quote From HazyJane:
I agree that marketing is key. If, however, you simply rely on "I have a PhD therefore you must know I'm awesome" I don't think that will get one very far. Better instead to demonstrate how the skills and experience gained are relevant to the needs of the employer.

Self-marketing is the key. As PhD graduates, we have emphatically demonstrated a raft of very relevant skills, e.g. self-motivation, tenacity, problem solving, learning agility, patience, etc. Have them on your CV. SPEAK to people. In addition, a lot of positions in industry DO value PhDs - many say "PhD preferred...". Having undergone a period of introspection and studied the positions available, that is where my search for a PERMANENT position is now concentrated.

S

Hi ginga, You r not alone. I have been struggling for more than a year now - passed PhD with no correction & no job despite 100s of applications to academic or non academic jobs. I do not hope to get any job sooner :( :(

I

Quote From Swetchha:
Hi ginga, You r not alone. I have been struggling for more than a year now - passed PhD with no correction & no job despite 100s of applications to academic or non academic jobs. I do not hope to get any job sooner :( :(

Don't give up!!! I was in the same position and now I got a temporary job. Will keep my fingers crossed for you!

H

Quote From incognito:
Quote From Swetchha:

Don't give up!!! I was in the same position and now I got a temporary job. Will keep my fingers crossed for you!

You've got more than a temporary job - you've got a fixed term contract. :) Nine months (with potential for extension) is not to be sniffed at, so don't undersell yourself!

I

Quote From HazyJane:
Quote From incognito:
Quote From Swetchha:

You've got more than a temporary job - you've got a fixed term contract. :) Nine months (with potential for extension) is not to be sniffed at, so don't undersell yourself!

Thanks for the "mental spank" HazyJane lol I needed that as have been going through a rough patch in other aspects of my personal life. Signed the contract a few days ago and starting Monday.

Quote From ginga:
I do actually have a job but I am not using my PhD. It was something I did until I graduated but looks like I'll be doing it for the duration. I just fancy doing something that equates to all those years of PhD work really. Even my boss said that she expects me to leave now I have the doctorate under my belt. Maybe I should just count myself lucky that I do have a job and stop whinging on.

Quote From ginga:
I was sort of under the impression that just by completing a PhD, it would be a passage of right to apply for any position even if the research topic is not related to it. Surely employers are aware of the determination and dedication required to be successful in a PhD, aren't they? I thought the phone would never stop ringing the day after I graduated with offers of gainful and fulfilling career opportunities but I have thus far been clearly misguided.

Welcome to reality lad. I admit I went into my PhD not thinking much more about the aftermath except I wanted a research or development-type career and I thought the PhD would help. However, in part due to the overqualified tag and in part due to the problems I've elaborated on elsewhere with my second post-doc, it's not turned out that way and I'm virtually back where I started.

I'm simply grateful to have a job after the nearly a year it took to find work after the second post-doc. I've been in that job a few years now.

Until the University system stops producing more PhD graduates than are actually needed, people will continue to have their illusions shattered once they emerge with a qualification that does little to enhance prospects no matter how you sell your acquired skills. The truth is a PhD student is cheap labour. A research associate costs more. Guess what Unis. etc. are going to do.

Ian (Mackem_Beefy)

Quote From chickpea:
I have seen people study extremely 'niche' topics which seem unlikely to tie in with any future job. Not only that, but when you look to see who's supervising them, it becomes clear that the supervisor is just creating little 'mini-me's' and ending up with a huge publication list - the supervisor being the one person who can probably make a living out of the niche area. I agree with Fled that you need to have an eye on the value of your topic outside of your PhD department, or at least to be grabbing as many transferable skills as you can along the way.

Spot on, especially the remark on 'niche' topics. The funding system and the financial attractiveness of hiring a PhD student compared to a research associate encourages that.

The outside world's perception of a PhD moving on as soon as a better opportunity comes along or being overqualified for a position (and thus easily getting bored with it) doesn't help matters. But how do you educate the world about what exactly a PhD is?

I'm still glad I did it, but as I said I feel I've got little value out of it despite a reasonable publcation record.

Ian (Mackem_Beefy)