Getting a second chance

G

How easy is it to start another PhD if you quit your first? I really would like to do a PhD in the field I am currently doing one in, but I don't get along with the people in the lab and I think I will quit. However, would this go against me if/when I apply for others as I quit for not getting along with people (not my supervisor, the others).

G

hello again. it will be next to impossible to get another phd if you quit this one. competition is very high and supervisors are unlikely to take a chance on you.

G

Even if you could start another, would there any way to guarantee that you won't have similar problems with the people at the new lab? Worse still, you could end up with a bad supervisor.

G

Sorry, I hadn't seen your earlier message...Personally, I think you should try to meet as many other people as possible, through clubs/societies for example. Once you've established a few worthwhile friendships outside of your department, maybe your fellow researchers behaviour will bother you less. With these kinds of things, they seem to become worse and worse the more worked up you get about them.

G

I quit my PhD in the USA due to similar reasons. Having returned to the UK i applied to new PhD`s and got interviews and have just been accepted at manchester. I found that quitting one PhD and getting another has not been a problem. I think most people are willing to give a second chance.Try to stick it out for as long as possible, and if it is still making you unhappy then its pointless being somewhere where you are miserable and your work will suffer.

G

dear neil, i know how do you feel,as i also face the same type of situation you have.there are 2 options for it.ignore them,if one is having good relation with guide and post-doc try to learn from them as much as possible.the second option is that try looking out at other places for your studies(secretally).Good luck friend.there is no word like impossible,try one's best