getting back after time off

S

======= Date Modified 10 15 2009 16:15:26 =======
======= Date Modified 10 15 2009 16:15:05 =======
I had to take time off from my PhD work and now I'm finding it hard get back to work, mostly concentration problems. Any tips from people who had similar problems and any success stories?;-)

P

I am just coming back to an old topic I worked on a while ago and find it hard getting my head round what I did (all those months ago;-)
I am trying to do get back into the flow of things by re-reading some of my old notes, and trying to think of where I can continue the work. I find having structure helps and I really need to decide at the beginning of the day what I am going to do, otherwise I float a bit.. (i.e. not do much really productive). My tip would be to do some "easy" things, like reading some papers and just take it one day at a time. Good luck.

B

A couple of years ago I took a 5-month medical break from my part-time PhD. In addition to that, due to long-term illness, I regularly have periods of many months where I can't do any work and need to return to things afterwards.

My technique is always to draw up to-do lists of things that need to be done, very long lists, and then I pick off the most appealing (or least unappealing!) and work on those. This way I build up my working stamina steadily and get back into the swing of things. Maybe something like that would help you?

Good luck.

A

hi sheena,

i resumed my studies last november after a two year break. it has not been easy but certain things do help.

1. i (try) to work on a specific chapter for a few months. Even if you don't have a chapter as such you can always focus on a certain theme and just stick to this. It's all about taking one step at a time, or one chapter at a time i should say. Don't try to do too many things at the one time, trust me you will just panic and wont get anything done! I try to stick to my GP's advice- 'just do what you can'. Draw up lists, i find this helps me at times.

2. Keep in touch with your supervisor- a good supervisor will always help you whatever your circumstance. Providing them with regular updates, reports or even an email telling them exactly what you are doing is beneficial as you both know how things stand.

3. With regards to concentration problems, set time aside to relax. Friday nights are always cinema nights for me. And i make it a point to read stuff entirely unrelated to my work- novels etc.

4. Accept that there will be times when you will feel overwhelmed and will panic. Understand that these moments are part of phd life and do pass.

Hope this helps and let us know how you are getting on.

S

Thank you so much for all three replies. It helps to read others experience as its a motivating factor for me. I actually made a list with dates but its too tight so need to give myself a bit more time. Hopefully I will revisit some of the things I've written today and that will make me keep going and encourage me to start writing also. My sup is OK but since she was not entirely happy with this leave but supported me (felt that as she had to do it) I dont feel that comfortable taking to him about these things.
Thanks again and I'm going to get on with things right now.;-)