getting child tax credits advice

W

Hi there, Really need some advice from peeps who have been studying with children and how to get tax credits. In September I start 4 years of a MSc/PhD program. I will get a studentship around 13/14k. I have one child aged 11. I have a working husband who earns 15k. Is the studentship counted in the child tax credits calculation? (Have already looked at the government website and it's not very clear.)
Is there anyone out there who does have a studentship and a working partner and their studentship is not counted in working out tax credits? Or even is there anyone whos studentship had to be counted....?
There is a 2.5k difference in studentship counted or not so really, really would like to get it if I can.:-)

Ta very much in advance for any advice peeps can give me.

J

I think the best thing is to contact citizen's advice or the students' union who can give you financial advice.

J

http://www.nus.org.uk/Student-Life/Money-And-Funding/Students-and-tax-credits-/ tells you what is and isn't included in the calculations

M

Hi there

I get child tax credits for my 2 children, and only the salary part of my studentship (I am a GTF) is counted, not the grant part (I called them to ask and was told they didn't need to know about any awards-grants-studentships).

Hope this helps!

W

Thanks for the replies, now just got to fiddle about getting child benefit off exhusband (long story!) and can then play form fill in time.
The big question now will be if my husband's September payrise takes him above the threshold for the full amount. (Bonkers that an extra £50 a year equals £2300 a year less in tax credits!)
My daughter is delighted because it means if we get it she can go on any school trips and have music lessons - the perks to being a student are more and more;-) (am leaving the world of work).

E

======= Date Modified 04 Jan 2011 14:11:48 =======
============= Edited by a Moderator =============
**content removed - advertising**