Getting over an ill timed writing up slump

S

Determined_daisy: Thanks for the updates. I have been working quite hard to get rid of these two chapters. There is a progress but very slow ! My plan is to submit the first draft by end of September but not sure when do I get feedback for these two chapters after I submit on 15 July. I assume I will get these back by Mid August. The two other analysis chapters sent a month back but have not got the supervision date for the feedback. Hope, I will be able to progress fast. Good luck to you too. Just wonder whether yrs is qualitative or quantitative analysis...I am doing qualitative and its killing me !
Swetch

D

It'd be the equivalent to qualitative i suppose - it is an arts thesis so all theory based, needs to be 80-100,000 words but so far is only about 65,000. Keep at it!

S

Hi Determined_daisy, How have u been? How is your work going? I am nearly done for the chapter 7 and working on chapter 8, trying my best to complete by 15th. Hopefully, I will manage to finalize it by the weekend if not on 15th. Do update about your work !
Swetch

D

Hi swetch, sorry for the long delay in posts, I've been for a few days with some virusy thing so haven't got nearly as much work done as I'd hoped. Got my intro done but for a few tweaks though and ch 1 is totally corrected. Working on ch3 and 4 corrections today which i hope to finish (ch 2 is harder so saving that for when i feel up to it!) Sounds like you're doing really well, let me know how it goes over the next day or two.

D

been *ill for a few days

S

Hi Determined_daisy, nice to see u back. I had been checking the forum daily to see yr updates - bit worried for not seeing u so long. Hope u are completely fine now. You also seem to progress a lot in this time. I am finding quite hard in Chapter 7 as this is a reshuffling of everything from my first draft. Thank god, chapter 8 is almost done - final touch needed before submission. I feel like crying sometimes as I feel stuck at many places and then I just procrastinate...checking emails, Facebook, Forum, other site. But, I am very determined today to progress and feel myself satisfied by the end of the day ! Good luck with yr work too. Swetch

D

I know that feeling so well swetch - when it gets tough it's so much easier to browse the internet or do something else. Stick at it and hope you manage to do what you want to do today. My morning's gone slowly but picking up the pace now. I think lunch helped!

S

Hi Determined_daisy, How was yr day today? I am bit satisfied today. I could not meet my target to finalize two chapters by today. But, it seems if I work few hours tomorrow and the whole day Sunday, I will at least be able to send it by 18th. Have a supervision meeting on Monday for chapters 9 & 10. Since these chapters (9&10) are my second drafts, I assume there are not many corrections like in 7 &8 which I needed to restructure completely and add many points from the scratch!
Keep updating !!
Swetch

D

Hi Swetch, that sounds ok though, it's only a few days longer than you'd hoped for handing it in, and it sounds like you're steadily getting through it.
My hard deadline for full draft in is a week on weds, so by the end of this weekend i need to have done corrections on chapters 1,2 and 3, then next week i can concentrate ion writing my concluding chapter..that's the plan anyhow! Am really tired after having allowed myself a few vinos and a stay-up-late last night, but am ploughing through and plan to kep at it until ch 3 is corrected today!
Let me know how it goes this weekend
:-)

D

Hi swetch, did you manage to get it in?

S

Hi Determined_daisy, How r u doing? I managed to complete the chapters but did not submit on 18th. The things have completely changed now after the supervision meeting as the last two chapters I submitted had many corrections and it was upsetting to know that I was not on the right path. I have completely lost my confidence now. I am restructuring the chapters (7 & 8) again and plan to work more for at least 2 weeks before submission. Seems my plan to submit first draft thesis on September is going to be a dream, I don't see any hope until December now :( I don't mind to have my planned submission time extended but I am really struggling on producing a weighty analysis chapters. Supervisors are quite happy that I have all first drafts done and they say that I am quite closer to the destination but I felt hurt when they said that they got frustrated with some of my uncritical analysis. This is the first time I got such remarks, may be because of that I have not been able to digest it. Still, I worked quite hard today. I will be working again on the same 7 & 8 chapters for 2 weeks now. Sorry for the long and depressing update but could not help. I hope you are doing well. Keep updating.

D

Ah Swetch don't let it get to you - i have had numerous meetings (and a hugely demonalising upgrade) over the past 4 years where i've had really critical feedback, it's normal - although i know it feels rubbish! Think of it as them trying in the only way they can to pick up on where you can make improvements - rather than the examiner doing it. Better to get it sorted now eh? Same goes for extensions, everyone plans to hand in at a set date (mine was a year ago!) but it inevitably gets put back - these things just take longer than we ever think they will. It'll be so much better than a rushed thesis being ripped to bits by the examiner for the sake of getting it in sooner. Just think how much better it'll be by the time you submit. Don't let it get to you and keep at it. December isn't far away at all! :-)

S

Thanks Determined_daisy for such a positive note. You are right, it is always better that the supervisors be critical now than being failed by an examiner ! I am quite happy for the analysis I have been doing for the last three days. I am much focused than before. I will now concentrate more on making my thesis better than submission time. How is your work going? How many days you have been working on yr thesis? Keep posting yr updates. I think rather than making Lacaniandream's post filled up with our updates, we should start a new accountability thread ! Why don't you outline briefly yr targets for each day you work? Swetch

D

======= Date Modified 22 Jul 2011 13:17:12 =======
Yes you're right, I was thinking we were hogging Lacanian's thread a little..do you know how to start one?

A

in the control panel on the left of your screen - 'create thread' :-). You need to be logged in to do so.