Getting published in an Academic Journal

P

First off, I'm a high school senior. Basically, I'd just like to know if it's possible to be published in a journal when I'm not even doing my undergrad yet. Obviously, I know it's not typical, that the work would have to be outstanding and all of that. Would it be more feasible if I collaborated with a professor from my local college?

The only reason I ask is because I'm basically done with high school now, I'll have a lot of free time in January - May, and I've already done a lot of research on the related topic.

Also, this would be a history paper on the topic of Joseph Goebbels, if that's helpful.

I don't know what 'high school senior' means I'm assuming its sixth form!? I would say it is perfectly possible. But you would have to read a lot of articles from the journal you want to publish in. Look at what kind of journal you want to publish in and consider impact factors etc.

This might help you get the writing style that is required.

P

"High school senior" is, in America, the last year of public education. I'm 18. Thank you for the input as well!

C

======= Date Modified 16 Dec 2009 16:41:20 =======
Are you in history, Sneaks? Because I can think of a few people who have published articles based on a BA thesis (so from the last year of their undergrad degree) but even this is rare and they are generally heavily revised with the benefit of a few years more training. Getting published in a peer-reviewed history journal as an undergraduate is exceptional; getting published before embarking on undergraduate studies, well, I have never heard of it...

So, while not wanting to discourage you Photoflo, publishing in history is not easy and you have to develop a thick skin. I wonder what the rush is? How about you work on this paper without the aim of publishing it in the near future and then ask the opinion of a professor once you get to college? They will be able to advise you as to how realistic the prospect of publishing this essay actually is. Otherwise you might not like the response you might get from the journal (History is not a particularly kind discipline when it comes to giving criticism), and it would be a shame if that discouraged you from developing your skills as a historian and as a writer.

not in history but would tent to agree with CeCef - it would be exceptionally hard, just because you have not been trained in the style of writing - as in trained through an undergraduate and postgraduate degree. I just wanted to come across a bit more positive ;-)

P

Thanks for your honest response CeCeF. Really, I've just exhausted most outlets in my high school and I'd really like to go farther with this project I've researched for over a year now. Attempting to publish in a journal would just be a goal. Whether or not I DO get published is less important, I guess. Right now, I'm just thinking about logistics.

Would it be possible to publish in something like a society magazine or in a student publication?

P

Sneaks- Sadly, none exist beyond the school newspaper. And, really, I know no one knows anything about me on this forum, but I do feel I'm beyond that level. Just as a reference point for my "skill level" (or whatever you want to call it) I have won a state award for historical research, given by the governor. I mean, I have a pretty hefty bibliography already. I feel stupid saying that, as if I'm trying to "show off," but I just want to give you an idea.

Probably, this would end up being published, if ever, in college (as I probably won't do graduate studies in history) but I actually enjoy this sort of thing, and it's always nice to have something BIG to work towards as well.

I meant a 'student' magazine, like a postgrad student publication. I know we have 'the psychologist' from the british psychological society - its a magazine that has research based articles but isn't an 'academic' publication.

P

Oh, well that definitely sounds interesting. Do you know where I might find one related to German history..?

erm no - not my area I'm afraid - but there are probably lots of history buffs on here who could tell you

P

Well thanks for the suggestion. Hopefully someone can point me in the right direction. So far I've only found the German History Society, and it seems very prestigious.

P

Hi there Photoflo

Three points :-)

First, Like CeCef I would say that an 'academic publication' has a training process needed that one just has not gone through by high school.

Second, borrowing a page out of my experiences with criticism/praise (am blessed/burdened with horridly powerful ambitions from middle school) I'd say aiming too high too early is not a good idea.

But, most important is my third point. For some weird reason, despite not knowing you, I find myself identifing with you! You've set yourself an ambitious task, far more ambitious than most around you have set. My suggestion - go ahead with this task, *but* aim for a publication that's in a student academic space, which is *not* a newsletter, but precisely an academic space for students who clearly are serious with research. And second, give yourself time to make it the best you can.

So, I googled for you a bit, and here goes: (these are all undergrad and grad space, so there you go : your thirst for raising the bar is met :-))

1. Ibid is a student history journal that's run by Univ of Texas. It's peer reviewed by academics across the US.

2. Another one is the Loyola Historical Journal.

3. Finally, this is a high school history journal - The Concord Review

I wish you luck. If you're going to be in academia, treat your attempt as symbolic of many similar things you will go on to do, later, raising the bar a little bit, with every step!

Good luck!

P

COuldn't resist giving unsolicited tips on a related matter.

Reviewing the existing literature:

1. Do use google scholar effectively,
2. use a reference manager to play with (like Endnote) ifyou do indeed have time in Jan so you can make a nice bibliog,
3. try following an academic style (APA 5th for instance, if you've got the time to train yourself properly a bit!)
4. Have you access to electronic libraries via someone where you can access journals. Then, go ahead and browse through some archives online, perhaps consider using the Arts and Humanities Citation Index for Joseph G in the keywords and abstracts and titles... (and know when to say thus far and no further)

i.e. if you decide on going for a student academic space, make it one of your best shots at this stage!

Oh, you've inspired me with your inspiration, I was like this in high school!! :-)

P

Thank you so much for your responses phdbug! The list of possible student academic publications was exactly what I was looking for. I feel like I have an adequately high goal set for myself. And thanks for the research tips as well.