Getting Started

T

Hello All,

I'm just getting to the end of my thesis (and wits) and I'm more on-off/stop-start with the writing than an Englishman’s kettle. How do you lot of industrious Ph.D. students overcome these peaks and troughs and avoid the P word (procrastination)? Any tips, advice, good working practices that I should be aware of? I've included a poll of the things I do, that currently don't seem to work, to get me started so I can I have unique working practices.

Thanks!

S

I'm also procrastinating terribly at the moment - hence am replying to your thread! I also do the usual things that everyone says - lists, rewards, aim to do half an hour then keep going etc etc. None of these are particularly effective at the moment. One thing that does get me to work is the thought of finishing. I'm really over this, am sick of sitting in my study by myself day after day, month after month. I so want to move onto whatever the next stage of work/life is. The thought of not being done by March (when funding runs out) is awful, so am determined to keep going, so I can submit by then.

Right, off for a cuppa, then back into it. If you come across any other good motivators, let me know!