Getting Word to PhD Students....

V

Hey Everyone,

I am a PhD candidate that does some side work helping other graduate students with their graduate research stats analysis. Do you guys have any suggestions about how to get the word out about my services? I'm not going to post my link because I don't want to get banned or kick-off the board, but I'm curious if you all have any suggestions.

Thanks!

Jeremy

W

Hi Jeremy. I personally would never seek the help of a quantitative analyst for help with my research. As someone training to be an independent researcher, I see it as my work and my work alone, so I teach myself everything. I couldn't afford it anyway. However, I have helped other PhD students in the past with analysis if it has fallen within my area of expertise - though never charged for it. But I suppose there are other PhD students in the world that would be willing to pay for assistance...And if you got the skills, you can use it to pay the bills.
So, you've got a site? Check! Have you thought about perhaps posting cards advertising your services on message boards in universties? Word of mouth? What about getting yourself advertised on some of these 'Ask the Experts' sites? Or doing work for some 'student consultancy' companies? Or, perhaps a crazy idea, but what about starting your own stats consultancy group on Facebook? That's all I can think of off the top of my head.

S

hi Jeremy
I remember you answered my questions (in the past), thanks very much again.
I think your business will grow more (outside the student community).
I would like to use research stats analysis services but as much as I would like to pay you, I couldn't really afford your fees.

Because now you probably already have lots to do, its a good idea to get a business consultant who will put your business in the right places (advertising etc.). Initially you'd have to pay the consultancy fees etc. but it is a good investment in the long run.

love satchi

V

First of all, great memory Satchi! I"m glad my advice was useful! Thanks for your great advice about pursuing a business consultant. I think it is a good idea.

Walminski, thank-you also for your thoughts, as they are very helpful. I do already have a facebook and linkedin page setup and I"m also associated with a company that do I contract for occasionally. I haven't tried your idea of contacting an "ask the expert" site though, so thanks for that suggestion! Thank again everyone for your wonderful insights and thoughts. Best.

Jeremy

D

Have you thought about contacting your university's (or any university) Language & Learning Department/Disability Office? Depending on the disability students can be eligible for this sort of support, even at PhD level, as a part of their Reasonable Adjustments. If the student is in receipt of a Disabled Student's Allowance the some of the grant usually goes to paying for one-to-one help from support tutors in the above department/s. Perhaps there might be a way of you becoming a contracted employee and picking up work that way?

V

Wonderful suggestion, "dowhatnow"! I never would have thought of that, but it is a great idea. Thanks!