Glaciology/ice/cold environments...anyone else?

K

Hi there

I'm currently in the process of looking/applying for a PhD in glaciology and am wondering if there is anyone else out there who is too? The uni's I've short listed will be Southampton, Aber, Swansea, Bristol and possibly Nottingham Trent (where I'm at now).

Karen

C

I've heard glaciology is a field that's dripping away and may not exist in a few decades...

K

Funny.

It may not exist in a contemporary setting one day, like a few hundred years, but there is still lots to focus on.

P

Quote From karen_87:

Funny.

It may not exist in a contemporary setting one day, like a few hundred years, but there is still lots to focus on.

Karen FYI, the person who has responded to you below is a forum disturbance, so while you may not knowthis as you are new, I thought I should tell you. Yes, I did geography for my first degree and it's a fascinating subject you are studying with lots of things to research. I was at a teaching workshop the other day where a geography student was discussing her PhD on glacial scours (is that right?) and their potential impacts. Very interesting, and I wish you luck! someone might come along and suggest an answer!

K

Mmmm, glacial scours? As in abrasion on bedrocks and clast? Not heard that time before. Anyway, thanks for the heads up on the previous poster. Nice to meet another geography anyway. What have you gone into? Or going into now?

C

Quote From phdbug:

Karen FYI, the person who has responded to you below is a forum disturbance, so while you may not knowthis as you are new, I thought I should tell you.

It's a crime to crack a joke now?

P

Quote From karen_87:

Mmmm, glacial scours? As in abrasion on bedrocks and clast? Not heard that time before. Anyway, thanks for the heads up on the previous poster. Nice to meet another geography anyway. What have you gone into? Or going into now?

Hi there - haha i moved into communication studies!! And am loving it :-) But I remember my glcial trough, erratics or perched blocks, U shaped valley, hanging valleys, tributary glaciers, scriae (those marks on the troughs?)

PS: As you know Clever clogs, only those people who are kind/sympathetic/or more 'ordinary' than you are can crack jokes and then have them interpreted corrrectly. if I spend nearly all my time getting in other people's ways, writing mean things and being unnecessarily critical (for instance using the word 'pathetic' for colleagues who have had a bad day), then your 'jokes' are bound to be taken out of context.

best.