Global Competition Review - my uni does not subscribe to this journal - help

J

Does anyone know any library where I can access a copy of this journal as my uni doesn't subscribe to it and i urgently need to checkout a paper one of its volumes?

O

That's not an academic journal, it's more or less a newspaper.

Check the link and then pay online to access articles:

http://www.globalcompetitionreview.com/news/frontpage.cfm

B

Can't you order this via an inter-library loan (which would come from the British Library)? They hold everything (... and if it's a journal article, order an electronic copy to be sent to your email - these come through in a couple of days!).

J

thanks Otto and Goods for your prompt replies.

as i need it urgently - by Thursday, i may just pay it if i don't get it through the British library.

Excuse me for asking this very obvious question - how do you access the British lib via your library? I thought it was through a database called COPAC or something along those lines, but i wasn't able to see that name on the list of databases. i will try direct access.

thanks guys.

jojo, I know it's going to sound a bit silly but have you run a google search with the article's title? When I don't get access to a paper, I do that and half of the time I get lucky and find another (free) link to a pdf.

inter-library loans from British Library takes a long time. It won't be an urgent solution.

J

404 - i've already tried that and it didn't get me anywhere.

Otto and Goods - looks like there are no electronic versions of this journal accessible thro copac, so i may have to pay for it instead of going to oxford or cambridge- the only holders of the hard copy.

B

This journal is available at the British Library - I've just found it on their website (by doing a simple search). At my uni (and I'm assuming it would be the same for you), I complete an interlibrary loan slip and give it to the relevant library assistant. If you are only requesting specific articles (i.e. don't need the entire journal), you can request for these to be sent to you via an electronic copy which - once your library receive them - are then emailed to you directly. The longest I have had to wait for an electronic request is 3 days (they usually come through in 2)!

A

How about asking the author if they could send you a copy of their article?

S

Trying googling - you'd be amazed what comes up (so many times I've been able to find articles that are supposed to be subscription)

I've had inter-library loans come through as early as the next day from my Uni library

1-3 days really quick. But then again, I live in London, away from my University and the most annoying and time-consuming part of inter-library loans is sending the copyright deceleration to my University's library. They can't start the application without this hard-copy deceleration. On a few occasions, I had to wait around 3 weeks because it took ages for British Library to respond to my University. So in some cases, going to the British Library works out easier.

J

thanks everyone for your insightful comments. I wrote to the author yesterday and he's not only send me an updated copy of the article, but he's offered to send me a free copy of his new book. . for once things related to my research are actually working out.

thanks everyone.

S

That's great (I was prepared to send you a copy of the article but I checked and our uni doesn't have the journal either) - it's always nice to get a freebie too

J

thanks sue - i really appreciate your willingness to help and yes, freebies are very nice to receive.

that's great