going mad because this is rubbish

J

Hi everyone,

I'm feeling really rubbish I have spent all day doing a literature search on this thing I need to plan for next week and I have got no where. :( I feel like I have wasted the whole day and now all I want to do is eat chocolate muffins. :(

p.s. why can't forum titles be two words?!

D

Eating chocolate muffins is a great idea ... hmmm. As for the literature search trying eating it - it would be much more satisfying!! ;)

D

I'd go for chocolate cheesecake myself

J

I tried to make mars bar crispy cakes by melting mars bars but it did not work. They would not melt properly I just got a big ball of sticky stuff that would not mix in with the rice crispies.

D

The trick is to let the mars bar goo cool down a bit before you add the rice krispies or they'll just pop and go soggy. I tried using snickers but found them too hard. Are you sure you're not gay DanB? Never met a guy who was into doing this! Do you have a recipe for chewy cookies? I'd love you to bits if you had as I've been trying to get hold of one for ages! ;)

A

I have a gorgeous recipe for crispy on the outside, chewy in the middle ginger biscuits if anyone is interested, proper Cornish ones like my Grandma used to make!

[I'm in the kitchen at the moment (wonders of wireless internet) making my Christmas cake!]

D

Wow - that's organised! I love homemade christmas cake. Can I have some please? Would love to try out the recipe for those chewy ginger bisuits. Thanks. Does anyone else find they have an obsession with food when they are working? Or with food in general?

A

4oz plain flour
Pinch of salt
1 level teaspoon baking powder
1 level teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
1 level teaspoon of ground ginger
1/2 level teaspoon of mixed spice
2oz butter
2oz sugar
3 tablespoons of golden syrup

Sift flour, salt, baking power, bicarb and spices into bowl. Rub in the butter and then add sugar. Warm syrup (easiest to put jar (minus metal lid!) into microwave for a minute or so) then add to other ingredients. Mix to form a stiff dough. Roll into small balls (about 10) and place on greased baking tray. Bake at 200oC for about 8 minutes.

The balls will puff up and then flatten a little as they spread out. Monitor closely when the biscuits have flattened, spread out AND have visible cracks on the surface. Remove from oven when the surface is quite golden but the cracks are paler. They’ll still be very soft and you need to leave them on the tray for 10 mins or so to cool and firm. During this stage the biscuits will flatten a little more. Takes a few attempts to get it perfect but they are yummy even if you accidentally go past the chewy stage!

A

I didn't make a Christmas cake last year as was writing up over Christmas (literally, was carrying around 2 laptops on Christmas Day!). Planning lots of baking this year to make up for it!

A

Reading this is making me hungry. In regards to the obsession with food question from doodles. I really became obsessed with food when I was revising for exams (probably due to the the "doing anything is better than revising theory"). Hence I could never revise at my student home because I'd end up clearing out my cupboards and indulge in wonderful student snacks such as fish finger sandwiches, popt noodles (terrible I know) and cheese on toast with worcester sauce, yum...

J

How much mar and syrup? I'm not really into mars bar cakes but my bf loves them.

J

i have a lovely recipe for vegan chocolate, raspberry and hazelnut cake. It really gooey and gorg. Its best with sweedish glace ice cream.

J

thank you :)

D

I can help with the Mars Bars Squares recipe - 2 Mars bars chopped up, 2 oz marg, 2 oz syrup - melt them all up until you get a gooey mess. Let it cool down a little before you add the rice krispies. And enjoy!!

I don't particularly like mars bars either unless they are in this form!! :)

J

thanks thats quite easy to remember, I will try it with some fake mars bars, I don't buy real ones I don't like big companys. :)