Going through depression because of my PHD

O

Please read Dina Glouberman "The Joy of Burnout: How the End of the World can be a new beginning" - I read this recently after experiencing a really horrible outcome to my PhD - posted under Failed PhD on this forum - life won't get any better until you make some changes and you really do deserve to have a better life (and so does your husband!). Looking back now I feel I set a course for myself which led only to unhappiness and I forgot that I had choices. Don't suffer any longer than you have to. Very best of luck.

J

======= Date Modified 10 Dec 2010 17:19:46 =======
Sorry to hear your story but you are not alone. Supervisors normally put all the blame on students. My supervisor made lot of promises on how good research will be for me, all help n resources..it all be easy. But the moment all funding secured, I never saw him that much, he become more like estranged wife who would not talk.No guidance, no direction, no resources..only one reply, its your research let me know how you get on with it. My supervisor delayed my upgrade despite all funds received..I couldn't finish in time due to mental breakdown. For more five years I suffered depression I didn't believe I have it...I'll wont tell you whole story but you can avoid mistakes I made.

If you have symtoms like racing thoughts, lack of focus,panic attacks, dizzyness while getting up, excessive sleep or insomnia, worry factor, procastionation, high libido, paranoid and getting upset all the time, its time for mind to heal. Rest...trust me dont kill yoursel by hitting same wall again n again. Its quite tricky situation especially mental exhaustion due to years of thinking, brain just doesn't stop. If you bad supervisor, then nothing like it. You want to talk doctors on counselling but rest and being with loved ones best. . recover, regroup n then strike

You can explain this to graduate faculty, or vice-chancellor if necessary and obtain 1 year's break. Dont complain or target your supervisor, simply say there were problems and its learning curve for everyone. Prepare good case and seek extension afterwards. Thesis requires minimum one year to complete. If you think thesis or completing research is not realistic then best is to seek compensation. It is very hard to endure when things go wrong in PhD..