Going to a conference without a poster/presentation etc

S

======= Date Modified 07 44 2009 18:44:06 =======
Hello All,
I want to find a job in a specific research area, although I started to work on the subject but, I don't have any results yet.
I want to meet some key investigators in the field, probably job hunting, do you think that is a good idea?
I mean can you attend a conference without any thing to submit?

thanks

C

Yeah definitely! I think it is even encouraged that you go to as many conferences as you can anyway when doing research, even if you're not contributing.
It's a really good way to network, get advice, make new friends, and open new doors to job opportunities.
It's probably a good idea to give a paper now and again so that others can see what you do and know that you exist, but if not, you could always volunteer to help organise one. This way, you will be at the centre of a network which would be particularly useful if you've chosen to help in one that is more closely related to what you are researching.
Go for it!

S

Hello Co,
thanks for the nice and informative reply, it helped alot , I will try to do it.

L

======= Date Modified 08 Nov 2009 21:58:07 =======
I attended a workshop, which was a mini conference really, I didnt submit or give any presentations but I think it helped me prepare for when I did present at a conference. You get to meet other people in your field :-) So yes, you can (up)

J

I have an meeting on Wednesday, I'm not presenting anything but you meet people there and you get talking to people.

I enjoying going to symposia as you get to network and keep up to date in your field - I haven't been to a conference yet! :-(

M

I regularly go to things that I'm not a speaker at and always find lots of other people doing the same thing!

S

OK, supposing i go there, am a bit shy, for example how do you approach a big academic in the field, it is intimidating.
I want to work on my subject and I like it, so I want to network, probably leading to a job, but i just don't know what to say? What to do....etc. DO you have any suggestions please?.
My aim is to find a job with someone whom I value their research

M

A good start is to make sure you ask a question after any paper that is relevant or interests you, and join in if there's open discussion. I find it's then easier to talk to the people in the coffee break or whatever. If you really can't get a chance to talk to someone who's relevant try to follow it up with an email: I really liked your paper but wanted to ask you more about X etc. Sometimes you get a reply, sometimes not, but at least they might remember your name for the future. The only other thing is always stick around for the social bits or go to the conference dinner if you can. Then everyone's forced to talk to each other so you're all in the same boat! :-)