Good Idea to accept second position or not?

F

Just wondering what anybody else thinks here. I've been offered a role as a part time lecturer during term time, and the position involves one day a week travelling to schools within the local region and giving short lectures basically to promote the university.

Do you think this would interfere too much with my other commitments (full-time PhD, part time teaching on a studentship), or would it complement them?

I don't want to overcommit myself, but I am really struggling financially and could use the extra money....

K

Sometimes if you have less time (ie four days a weke instead of five) you actually work more efficiently on the other days as you know you have to get stuff done rather than having the "I'll do it later attitude"

Only you know if this will work for you but if you need the money then having less financial worries might make you work more effectively too, I know I can't concentrate if I'm worried about something.

S

seems like a good job to get you out of that lonly phd world into real world. Since its only one day if you can keep it to that and work the other days on your PhD, it might be good idea to take it. I am a full timer and I do waste more than one day a week doing nothing and I sometimes regret not doing a part time something. These things give you something to add to CV and opportunities to meet people outside. Think through of pros and cons, write them down and decide.

F

Hi again. Thanks for the responses. I'm glad I had some positive feedback, my superviser was a little cold on the idea but hasn't tried to actively disuade me from taking it. It's only during term-time anyway (24 weeks) so I'll still have more than half of the year when I'll not be working and hence be able to dedicate 5+ days a week to my research.